Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WS2811 Only Turning Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WS2811 Only Turning Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow

Hello,

I am using an F16v2 controller to run WS2811 strands. When I have the strands connected together, they can only turn red, green, blue, and yellow even if I tell them to turn different colors. However, if I power the strands individually on their own, they can change to a wider variety of colors. How can I fix it so that the strands can change to the right colors while being attached to one another in a long strand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WS2811 Only Turning Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow

How many "strands" are you connecting? How many nodes per strand and at what voltage? Sounds like you need to power inject. Every 100 nodes for 12V and every 50 nodes for 5V is the general rule of thumb.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. This looks like a power problem.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others. Sounds like a power problem, but to make sure: Take it down to a small number of pixels, say 50. Now what do you get?
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm using about 200 pixels in a strand. Power injection sounds like a good idea. If I inject further down in the strand, do I have to use a voltage and ground connection from the same port that is connected to the front of the strand?

Post Thanks / Like

those ports have limited capacity. you need to use a cable from the psu direct to the lights. i use 16awg and 14awg wire to do power injection. i suggest you read some of the power injection related threads.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybroccoli View Post
    Yeah, I'm using about 200 pixels in a strand. Power injection sounds like a good idea. If I inject further down in the strand, do I have to use a voltage and ground connection from the same port that is connected to the front of the strand?
    Just the same PSU (not port) if you leaving V+ connected. You need to fuse appropriately the power injection wire.

Otherwise, you cut V+ and can use a different PSU to power the second half. Just don't mix V+ from different PSUs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybroccoli View Post
    From the Wiki
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Here again, your experience may vary... Too many variables in the mix to say "you can add up to xxx pixels off of a port" or "you can only use xxx pixels off of any port." Things like manufacturer of the pixels, method of pixel control, how many pixels, what power level are you limiting the output to, size of fuse, and size of power trace on your boards, size of wiring in your pixel strings, etc. get into play here.

The general rule of thumb is to power inject every 50 pixels at 5 vdc, and every 100 at 12 vdc. I have several props (singing faces, candy canes, etc.) that have 140 to 170 pixels - each running off of their own controller output. We provide power at the beginning and at the end of each of these strings. Though we have run them at 100% in the past (with 7.5 amp fuses on the controller), we currently run them at 50% and all is well.

Some folks don't run power through the controller, but instead opt to run power from the PS, and a power distro (with heavier traces and fuses), and then pick up the data and combine the ground from the controller output. This works well. A bit more work, but worth it in quite a few cases.

It is your show, and your choice. Try to see what works for you.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting. If I was to use power not from the controller, what would you recommend for distributing voltage? Would a power distribution bus be a good solution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast