Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct way to wire Power Supplies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Correct way to wire Power Supplies

When installing multiple PS in an enclosure, it is common practice to connecting them all together and have one AC plug of should they be wired separately with an AC plug for each PS?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correct way to wire Power Supplies

It depends on "how many". A 360 watt power supply is only 3 amps at 120 vac. If you feed it from a 15 amp circuit, you can put up to 5 on that circuit and that is if you plan on running them at 80 - 100% - all at the same time. (I can't remember EVER using all my power supplies at 100% at the same time. That is over the 10 plus years I've been using pixels of all kinds.) Just make sure to use the correct size wiring between the power supply cluster, and the wall outlet.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

You can wire them to a barrier strip.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be as simple as using a jumper wire from the neutral and hot on one PS to the nuetral and hot on the next PS?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the wire guage you use. 15A uses 14 AWG wire. That is a bit thick to be putting two wires under a terminal. With a terminal block you still use 14 AWG to each of the PSUs but the block is designed to have the terminals ganged. Four terminals can drive three PSUs using the 15A jumper strips.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

A 350 watt 29 amp power supply pulls slightly more than 3 amps at 240 volts. The same power supply pulls slightly more than 6 amps at 120 volts.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    A 350 watt 29 amp power supply pulls slightly more than 3 amps at 240 volts. The same power supply pulls slightly more than 6 amps at 120 volts.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    ??? 360W@120V full load should be about 3.5A load plus efficiency.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Spec on a Meanwell LRS-350 power supply.

6.8A/115VAC 3.4A/230VAC

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. <50% efficient? On a MEANWELL?
    In my way of thinking, those are some seriously inefficient numbers. I'd bet that the numbers are really conservative.

As always, don't take my word for it - TEST IT FOR YOURSELF. Power draw is fairly easy to test. A simple Kill-a-watt meter will tell you how much you are actually drawing. Heck, the hard part will be to get a D.C. load approaching the amount the PS says it will deliver.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Interesting. <50% efficient? On a MEANWELL?
    In my way of thinking, those are some seriously inefficient numbers. I'd bet that the numbers are really conservative.

As always, don't take my word for it - TEST IT FOR YOURSELF. Power draw is fairly easy to test. A simple Kill-a-watt meter will tell you how much you are actually drawing. Heck, the hard part will be to get a D.C. load approaching the amount the PS says it will deliver.
    Yes I agree with you Algerdes....And with efficiencies such as that...I wouldn't use that PS. must be loading from the fan and controls, and a crappy power factor.
    I use the HRS-150 for most transformers. I like waterproof so I can get them closer to where they are used, and they have better overall efficiency. 1.7A @ `115V load for 150W @ 12VDC - so that would equated to 3.9A @115V for 350W

Something about that LRS eats up the primary current before they start calculating the efficiencies.....hmmm
    In Lights Therapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast