Thread: Christmas Deals To Christmas Profits?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas Deals To Christmas Profits?

Does anyone buy mass quantities of items at 50% or more off after Christmas just to hold onto them until the following season to resell at retail prices?

I started thinking about this as I found a huge box full of items that I bought at the end of 2017 and completely forgot about. Then I looked on eBay and Christmas lights actually are still selling even though its out of season.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas Deals To Christmas Profits?

You would be reselling those items without any valid warranty since it would be a personal sale, so I doubt you would get anyone willing to pay full retail value.

As well, they also may be stuck with no recourse if the item was recalled, again further lowering your chances to successfully sell at full retail value the next season.

Iím not convinced your real world payback would be worth your efforts in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You'd have to pick just the right items.
    Best current example I can think of is RBL's.
    If you bought them when Home Depot was clearing them out with free shipping, you could double your money right now.
    I think most blowmolds would also fit this niche.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not buy 2000 VO2223A chips from mouser.com at $.479 each, sell them for $.75 and make 27 cents on each one? This saves the DIY'er 25 cents off the nearly $1 each when less than ten chips are needed.

Oh, I know why.... because you'd have to take almost $1K out of your pocket to buy the chips up front and then you'd have to hope that people would buy them.... and all that money sits on the shelf for X number of months... or years....

...just another example of why the DIGWDF store closed its doors....

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch !
    It's the same reason I only purchase pixel pops boards at the minimum of 10 panels at a time.
    Reducing the cost a few cents or so a board just isn't worth the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Why not buy 2000 VO2223A chips from mouser.com at $.479 each, sell them for $.75 and make 27 cents on each one? This saves the DIY'er 25 cents off the nearly $1 each when less than ten chips are needed.

Oh, I know why.... because you'd have to take almost $1K out of your pocket to buy the chips up front and then you'd have to hope that people would buy them.... and all that money sits on the shelf for X number of months... or years....

...just another example of why the DIGWDF store closed its doors....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pjones View Post
    You would be reselling those items without any valid warranty since it would be a personal sale, so I doubt you would get anyone willing to pay full retail value.

As well, they also may be stuck with no recourse if the item was recalled, again further lowering your chances to successfully sell at full retail value the next season.

I’m not convinced your real world payback would be worth your efforts in this case.

If I was to do it, I would stick with store bought items like string lights and wire frame pieces. Things that wouldn't get recalled or have issues like that.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Post Thanks / Like

I just can’t part with anything Christmas. Lol I do see it all the time though on marketplace eBay and flea markets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post
    If I was to do it, I would stick with store bought items like string lights and wire frame pieces. Things that wouldn't get recalled or have issues like that.
    One year Iíve had about 60% of the string lights that I had purchased get recalled. I had about 3 or 4 different brands all recalled for different reasons. It was around $600 worth of lights that got refunded that year (roughly give or take some). Thankfully I had not had them attached to anything at that point so returning them was easy. I had purchased them from various big box stores and reputable sellers.