Thread: Transferring my profile to another computer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transferring my profile to another computer

ok so I'm having issues getting this done. So I go System, select Profile and try using the zip wizard to zip my profile to a USB drive that I then want to transfer over to my new computer.
    The zip is not working , it tells me "the stream is to long" .
    So I tried just coping the the vixen 3 folder under my documents and bringing it over to my new computer. So on the new computer I go System , select profile and then what....?
    Do I need to add a new profile or can I just change the folder where to look for my other one that I copied over?
    I can open sequence just navigating to where my copied profile is but when I open it in Vixen it tells the audio is not there and plus the whole time line is blank with no effects shown.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Transferring my profile to another computer

I have been using vixen on two computers for a few years. All I ever do is copy the entire profile folder onto a USB and paste it onto the other computer and replace the files. I do that back and forth and have never had a drama. I do make sure that both Vixens are up to date. I did have dramas last year due to the sheer size so I started leaving out the Media folder (had a heap of Halloween videos in it) and just took what I needed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using multiple profiles and are copying one besides the default Vixen 3 profile, you will need to copy it to the new machine in the my documents just like it was on the source machine and then create a new profile in the profile wizard and point it to the folder where you copied it across. Creating the profile target tells Vixen its name and where it is.

After it is established, you can just clone it over to update it if you are keeping two machines in sync.

Post Thanks / Like

I save my profile in c://vixen on the main pc and in c://vixen on the pc in the shed where I do most of my sequencing. I use Nextcloud on a PI as network storage and I just copy over any changes I do to the Vixen folder on the Nextcloud and then I can copy any changes to that folder no matter if I do it in the house or the shed. I just point both PCs to the same directory and I have no issues. Since Nextcloud is on my home network,copying things over is quick.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I'm sure I pasted the copied vixen3 folder in the same spot as it would be on the original computer. Maybe I messed up so I will try it again, thanks for all the input

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so what I did was copy my Vixen 3 folder onto a usb drive from the old computer, I transfer it to the new computer, delete the Vixen 3 folder on the new computer and then replace it with the copied one. When I open vixen It tells me that the default profile and the one I transferred over are locked and I'm forced to make a new profile. I tried coping all the files to the new profile and again when I open Vixen it tells me it's locked and I can't open it,

Post Thanks / Like

look in the files for that profile and see if you have a file called lock delete that
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

James once again you have saved the day, deleting lock file did the trick, THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like

"Deleting the lock file." That is one you will not forget, and will use from time to time. :|
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

As Taz mentioned, delete the lock file, but make sure you have Vixen shutdown when you make the zip of the profile. It was likely running when you did that and that is why the lock file is there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk