Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Access to Com Port Denied

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Access to Com Port Denied

On the setup for the plugin do you have the 'Hold port open during the duration of the sequence execution'? I had problems using this and disabled it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teberle View Post
    On the setup for the plugin do you have the 'Hold port open during the duration of the sequence execution'? I had problems using this and disabled it.
    Will gibe this a try tonight and see if it helps

Post Thanks / Like

No change:-?

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem here. After the first sequence it freezes and says access to comm port 1 denied. I'm using 2.0.3.3.
    Never alone

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using the Program plugin feature? I think a lot of the time the com port error comes up is because people are using plugins in the sequences or profile. My theory is that the Program will hold the port open for the entire length of the program. The sequences and profile open and close the port for each sequence and this causes the conflict. The next sequence opens the port before the previous one closes it. This is just a theory form someone who knows less than a little bit about it. I may be totally wrong but I have not seen the com port issue in some time and I use the program plugin feature. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    Have you tried using the Program plugin feature? I think a lot of the time the com port error comes up is because people are using plugins in the sequences or profile. My theory is that the Program will hold the port open for the entire length of the program. The sequences and profile open and close the port for each sequence and this causes the conflict. The next sequence opens the port before the previous one closes it. This is just a theory form someone who knows less than a little bit about it. I may be totally wrong but I have not seen the com port issue in some time and I use the program plugin feature. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Brian this is what I do also. It is important for us to point out that you need to disable the plugin's in the seqences that are in your program if you use the programs plugins. It can cause problems if both the seqence and program have plugin's setup.

RJ
    [url]www.diylightanimation.com[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first year at all this so I am not as knowledgable as others, but I will add my two cents on what has worked for me during the past three nights I have been testing and tweaking. I have had no issues within a program run, only when I have tried to switch between multiple programs back to back which makes sense why the comm port would be in use.

I have only had the comm port issue when I tried to switch between programs, meaning I tried to have one program of sequences end at 6pm and another program of sequences start at 6pm. I modified the timer file, as suggested on this message board, and was able to move between different programs with a 2 minute downtime without any further issues since the comm port was released.

I have not disabled the plugin for each of my sequences (which I may as it makes sense what has been said here) and have them set identically to the programs plugin. I do not use the sequence plugins, I use the programs plugin feature only. I have not disabled the hold port open check box either.

I am using 2.0.9. One thing I am doing a little differently than some is that I am using a USB to serial adapter that is using COM3 instead of the normal COM1 but I dont see right off how this would impact the issue that we are discussing, only adding in some additional detail.

Now that I have said this, I hope I didnt jinx myself.......

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing is the laptop I am using is a clean build of XP that has no other software installed and is used for no other purpose but Vixen.

Post Thanks / Like

It's working now. First of all thanks everybody for the ideas. I disabled the sequence plugins and set up the program plugins to run everything. Comm port problems disapeared.

Thanks again! You all rock!
    Never alone

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I could help.

RJ
    [url]www.diylightanimation.com[/url]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast