Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RayWu Quality Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default RayWu Quality Problem

I hope this isn't the case with other people ordering pixels from Ray, but the shipment I recently received had too many bad quality pixels. I've ordered from Ray Wu in the past and have had really positive experiences, but this one is not going so well. Ray has assured me that the pixels will be fine, but I am confident they are going to fail due to water intrusion. AliExpress dispute process has not been helpful. Aliexpress agrees the pixels are defective, but are only offering a 30% refund.

The shipment I got from Ray had 1 good strand(100 pixel) and 19 strands that had lots of pixels with low epoxy filling (~25% fill past circuit board), deformed pixels (missing mounting tabs, LEDs not sticking out a consistent distance), bubbles in the epoxy and epoxy not being tight along the wires. Probably 50% of the pixels had low epoxy filling and 10% have bubbles/air pockets. Attached are some examples of what I'm seeing.

Looking at other pixels I've ordered in the past, all of them are 80-100% full of epoxy filling, are free of bubbles, and don't have air pockets along the wires. This is how they are all supposed to be, right?

I'm sure these pixels will probably work initially, but I'm worried about water intrusion over time. Especially water intrusion with freeze/thaw cycles opening up the water paths and helping water get to the circuit board. Has anyone else gotten pixels with these problems? How did you fix them if you weren't able to get the manufacturer to replace them?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RayWu Quality Problem

Looking at those pics - I'd be concerned as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Were those produced after the Chinese New Year? The quality of items in Chinese factories can sometimes suffer immediately after the new year as experienced staff leave and greenhorns replace them.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they were shipped before Chinese New year

Post Thanks / Like

Now I am a little worried - I just put in an order right after the Chinese New Year. Almost all pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Great I'm getting about 600 pixels and some some light strip tomorrow. hopefully its a fluke.

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep this thread updated with orders from China/Ray Wu and pixel issues. We just did a group buy with probably 15-20,000 pixels (3k for me alone). It should be here in the next week or two. I'll be inspecting mine closer on this batch. I don't think Ray makes them himself, but I'm sure he'd like to know if his crew or suppliers aren't doing a proper job. He's got a good reputation in the community and don't think he'd like it tarnished from cutting corners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJR214 View Post
    Please keep this thread updated with orders from China/Ray Wu and pixel issues. We just did a group buy with probably 15-20,000 pixels (3k for me alone). It should be here in the next week or two. I'll be inspecting mine closer on this batch. I don't think Ray makes them himself, but I'm sure he'd like to know if his crew or suppliers aren't doing a proper job. He's got a good reputation in the community and don't think he'd like it tarnished from cutting corners.
    ...How was the result?? :o

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, it's been that long since I posted about the group buy! After some delays with Ray, then delays with shipping with Fedex, it just arrived yesterday (4/12) at the person's house who setup the group buy. Now we either have to pick it up from him or have him ship it. So we haven't actually received the stuff in hand to look over and give a review.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know. I hope they are good quality pixels. I don’t want anyone to have to deal with this.

Regarding my case - Ray was not any help. He said the pixels were fine as-is. I opened a dispute with AliExpress and their “buyer protection” is a joke. They agreed that some of the pixels were defective and offered me a full refund if I ship them back ($300) or a ~25% refund. I pushed for more of a refund or they pay return shipping and they denied the appeal and automatically gave me a 25% refund with the following statement:

“I am totally understanding your feeling,I am sincerely sorry for your unsuccessful purchase experience,we could punish the seller,but as we can't confirm the goods can't work and any difference from the description from your evidence, we can only give you partial refund without returning the goods, hope you can understand (Please kindly note the amount of partial refund depends on the defective and unmatched degree of the received product.)
    We sincerely feel sorry that you did not choose the second solution: return the goods for full refund(with 20usd coupon as return shipping cost). That's why we closed the dispute with only partial
    refund to you.”

So now I’ve filed a dispute with my credit card...we’ll see what happens there.

I’m pretty much stuck with these pixels now and am trying to figure out how to salvage them. I’m thinking I can try and fill the voids with 5minute epoxy or something like that. Anyone have experience with something like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast