Thread: Low Current AC Controller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Low Current AC Controller

My display uses LEDs almost exclusively. Most channels have only 1 or 2 strings connected, so the current draw is very small. Does anyone make a less expensive AC controller for low current applications? It would seem to me that you could substitute a VO2223 (or similar) opto-triac chip (rated up to 2A) instead of an optocoupler and a big triac and save a few bucks.

I am guessing though, that in the grand scheme of things when you add the cost of all the other components, it doesn't cost that much more to do high current and so probably no-one makes a low current version.
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Low Current AC Controller

DirksCheap SSR's work great for your prescribed use.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrWizard View Post
    Does anyone make a less expensive AC controller for low current applications?
    Are you looking for a controller or some SSR’s? I have a bunch of SSR’s based on the VO2223A that I need to assemble but those IC’s have gone up to $1 each. I think the MOC3023 is a more cost effective approach for a 1A triac. They’re 1/2 the cost. Renard Shop used to sell an LCC-16 controller with VO2223’s on board but that’s at least $16 just for the TRIAC’s.

I have a Wireless Renard/DMX in the works that uses an ESP32, MOC3023’s and an enclosed Buck. The goal for that design is a cheaper, low power controller with a small part count. It should come in at half the cost of current Renard designs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    I have a Wireless Renard/DMX in the works that uses an ESP32, MOC3023ís and an enclosed Buck. The goal for that design is a cheaper, low power controller with a small part count. It should come in at half the cost of current Renard designs.
    I am VERY interested in this, please keep me informed! I have been debating building one based on the STM32 or Mega2560 because they have plenty of GPIO pins and libraries are available to handle most of the programming. I'm also a big fan of ESP32 but it doesn't have alot of GPIO. How would you handle a high channel count, shift registers?
    Wizlights.com

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking for a controller or some SSRís? I have a bunch of SSRís based on the VO2223A that I need to assemble but those ICís have gone up to $1 each. I think the MOC3023 is a more cost effective approach for a 1A triac. Theyíre 1/2 the cost. Renard Shop used to sell an LCC-16 controller with VO2223ís on board but thatís at least $16 just for the TRIACís.

I have a Wireless Renard/DMX in the works that uses an ESP32, MOC3023ís and an enclosed Buck. The goal for that design is a cheaper, low power controller with a small part count. It should come in at half the cost of current Renard designs.
    Please keep us updated I would be interested in a low cost esp32 based controller also.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have boards on order and will update after I get any bugs worked out. I’m only making 8 & 16 channel controllers because of the way my display is laid out.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.
    So, is this is a wifi controller, running Renard or DMX protocol with onboard triacs.
    I think Dirknerkle did this too; but he is now out of running a store.
    I have used MOC3023's for years with appropriate triacs and its a rock solid combination.
    Please post some pics and board info.
    I have boards on order and will update after I get any bugs worked out. Iím only making 8 & 16 channel controllers because of the way my display is laid out.