Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some idea's

Post Thanks / Like

Default some idea's

using vixen now for a few months.
    almost on a daily basis. want to learn the software and start using it on a yearly basis for my Christmas shows.

while working with the program a few features come to mind. maybe some of the options are already in the program but haven't found it yet.

while changing an effect with "preview on" i can do live change and see what i am doing. but for some features like curves i have to open a second windows. correcting things is kinda hard because i have to close the window each time i want to check if its better. maybe this can be solved.

to preview the actual quality and timing of the show i have to export it to FPP and run the full show. since the show is about 15 minutes i often have to wait 10 minutes for the part i want to see.
    this should be integrated with the program. 2 modes "live rendered" like it is now. and pre rendered. select a part of the show, pre-render and then play that part.
    this way the pc is not overloaded while playing and only has to output the rendered part pixel data.

re-order tracks. for example i added a track with all the pixels in a star. then i add more devices. later i decide i need a track with only the outside pixels of the star. both are the same device but the tracks are far from each other. moving the tracks would be a nice feature.

Possibility to mute a track. the mega-tree is taking quite a lot of rendering. muting the track would be nice so the rest can run smooth.

Hope it can be of any help,
    for the rest, keep up the good work! i love it

with kind regards
    robbert lievens

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: some idea's

while changing an effect with "preview on" i can do live change and see what i am doing. but for some features like curves i have to open a second windows. correcting things is kinda hard because i have to close the window each time i want to check if its better. maybe this can be solved.
    This has annoyed me as well. Dimming curves especially. Trying to get a multiple intensity effect aligned is a bit of a PITA. I have gone to individual effects to make it simpler.

to preview the actual quality and timing of the show i have to export it to FPP and run the full show. since the show is about 15 minutes i often have to wait 10 minutes for the part i want to see. this should be integrated with the program.
    Preview works fine for me. Not sure why you need to export. I do a 6K+ pixel prop on the preview with no issues. If you really want to see it on the real props, set up the outputs in vixen. As you are playing in the sequencing tool, Vixen is also outputting to controllers.

2 modes "live rendered" like it is now. and pre rendered. select a part of the show, pre-render and then play that part.
    this way the pc is not overloaded while playing and only has to output the rendered part pixel data.
    re-order tracks. for example i added a track with all the pixels in a star. then i add more devices. later i decide i need a track with only the outside pixels of the star. both are the same device but the tracks are far from each other. moving the tracks would be a nice feature.
    Not sure track is the proper term here. To me a track is related to the music and I generally only use two. I think what you are describing is an element group. Go back to the setup screen and move the element groups into whatever order you want. There are no restrictions.

As for just playing a part of the song, on the preview screen in the marks area (grey area under the sound tracks) you can use the cursor to define a part of the song to play (click,drag,release). Then press the play button. If you want the same part to play in a loop then set the replay button before pressing play.

Possibility to mute a track. the mega-tree is taking quite a lot of rendering. muting the track would be nice so the rest can run smooth.
    Not sure if this exists. I would like it as well. Less stuff firing on the preview screen while I am focused on a specific prop.
    Last edited by MartinMueller2003; 03-02-2019 at 03:33 PM.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry using the wrong term "track" I am used to do audio video editing. In such programs we talk about tracks Haha. But i will remember Haha

I use about 7.5k channels, since I am used to do video editing the video tool is great for generating unique patterns. But video is slow to render in vixen.
    Sometimes I stretch a video over my full display and a second video on the mega tree.
    This is quite a dragg on the system.

In my case the show cant run at the full 20fps, its dropping a lot of frames (mostly in the video part)
    Muting an element group would prevent vixen to render the mega tree and reduce the system load.
    So I can edit the other props on the full 20fps.

When running the show from fpp this is no issue al all.
    But I have to wait a long time to see the actual part I want to check Haha and have to export the full show a lot

I know I can select only a small part to play in vixen but then I have the dropping frames issue.

Great tip for the element group order.
    Will definitly try this today.

The pre render is also used in video editing. Overlapping multiple 1080 videos with effects is quite a load. So you can select a part and pre-render this.
    When I play the movie now it's all live rendered but only the pre-rendered parts are loaded from the memory.
    If I edit something within this range i lose the render and have to pre-render again.
    Hope i could explain it good enough Haha

Just popping some ideas haha

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by scanlight; 03-03-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested to know what kind of hardware you have. 7500 channels should not be that tasking for a modern system. I have run profiles upwards of 50K without lag on a 4 year old i5 processor.

Edit to add info on the curves.

On the curves and not seeing the change until you close the window, are you double clicking on the curve to open it in the larger curve editor? Are you aware that you can edit them inline in the effect editor and those changes render right away?
    Last edited by jeffu231; 03-03-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, 7.5K channels is not a lot. I am at 14K on a four year old AMD CPU. What I found was adding a lot more DRAM made things go faster (16GB). Vixen uses a lot of memory and the more you give it the faster (up to a point) it runs. Yes the Preview screen is not a full speed interface. However, as I mentioned, if you configure vixen to send data to your controllers then your show becomes your preview. No need to export to FPP.

Since I do not 'want' to configure Vixen to output to controllers, I deal with the preview lag. Being able to "Mute" most of the elements and groups when working on a specific element sounds like a good feature to me.

Keep in mind that it is the preview processing that is causing information to get lost. The output engine is separate and should run your channels just fine.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    As mentioned, 7.5K channels is not a lot. I am at 14K on a four year old AMD CPU. What I found was adding a lot more DRAM made things go faster (16GB). Vixen uses a lot of memory and the more you give it the faster (up to a point) it runs. Yes the Preview screen is not a full speed interface. However, as I mentioned, if you configure vixen to send data to your controllers then your show becomes your preview. No need to export to FPP.

Since I do not 'want' to configure Vixen to output to controllers, I deal with the preview lag. Being able to "Mute" most of the elements and groups when working on a specific element sounds like a good feature to me.

Keep in mind that it is the preview processing that is causing information to get lost. The output engine is separate and should run your channels just fine.
    I am a bit confused what you mean by preview lag. Can you elaborate on that a bit more. I have not experienced this myself or recall seeing other reports of it. The preview updates occur just like the output controller updates do. The preview is just as "real time" as the controllers are from a system functionality standpoint.

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced the preview lag... it doesn't fall behind time wise, but some of the elements get hung up a bit. Usually closing the program fixes it. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular that causes it. It happens randomly. Not a big deal for me as it's easily remedied.

Post Thanks / Like

preview lag is when the preview is either a bit behind or just skips some transitions for some unknown reason. it is much better in the more recent releases, but still noticible in sequences that have a lot of transitions or effects cramed into a small part of the sequence. i have also seen instances where a prop stops doing anything for a few seconds and then jumps ahead to catch up. i have not been able to reproduce these efffects so i did not open a ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Those processes are heavily threaded, so any resource contention could produce those symptoms. I would expect that to be more likely when there are several output controllers outputting at the same time. I suspect both of you sequence with live output turned off most of the time which should free up lot of the heavy lifting.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't output to any controllers... they are all off.

Like I said, it's not a big deal as simply restarting will resolve it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast