Thread: Meamwell Fan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Meamwell Fan

The fan on one of my Meanwell PS comes on as soon as it's plugged in with no load on it. Should I be concerned?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Meamwell Fan

That seems normal

Post Thanks / Like

That does correct.
    Otherwise, how would you know the fan works?
    How long have you left it on? Do you know for sure that the fan cycles on the unit you own?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    That does correct.
    Otherwise, how would you know the fan works?
    How long have you left it on? Do you know for sure that the fan cycles on the unit you own?
    I have 5 plugged in (no load) and one of them the fan runs continuously. Sticker on unit says "Fan automatically works according to working temperature" So, it made me wonder.

Post Thanks / Like

I only have three of four different types (family, not voltage/current output, e.g. LRS, SP) of Meanwell supplies, but none of them runs continuously, without load. Some have only on-off fan speed, others have variable fan speed, but they are based on load. If you have 5 identical (family) Meanwell supplies with no load on them, and only one has a fan running, suspect that fan control circuit is bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick question... You state "no load on it". Do you mean there is nothing connected to it, or that your lights are not lit?
    I ask because if you mean "lights are not lit", you might not know that strings of pixels use power even when not lit. It takes juice to keep all those chips on and waiting for the signal to turn on any or all of the LEDs in the package.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

7. Likes pixelpuppy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    Just a quick question... You state "no load on it". Do you mean there is nothing connected to it, or that your lights are not lit?
    I ask because if you mean "lights are not lit", you might not know that strings of pixels use power even when not lit. It takes juice to keep all those chips on and waiting for the signal to turn on any or all of the LEDs in the package.
    Correct, nothing connected to it.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are all the same unit, then I too agree that the one with the constant fan is bad.