Thread: Possible solution to lag with Loco M2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible solution to lag with Loco M2

Since there have been multiple threads about lag with Loco M2 decided to make a new post about what fixed my occasional lag and a possible change to the recommended Loco M2 settings.

I replaced an older router with a Loco M2 over a year ago. On occasion I have had issues with lag. It might happen one night and then go away. Never bothered looking further into it since it was not frequent. Had it happen again this week while I was testing some Icicles that I had repaired. Very bad lag that affected the Icicles and all the ESPSticks outside. Decided to see If I could figure out what was going on. Did a site survey on the Loco M2 and discovered that it was using Channel 11 which was also being used by my home network, I have a separate show network. Channel 1 and 6 were not heavily used and after switching to Channel 6 the lag went away, the lag came back when switching back to 11. Did some googling and found some sites that recommended not using the Auto frequency selection on the Loco M2. They suggested using AirView under the Tools menu to pick the best channel. In my case not using Auto selection made a difference. Seems like using Auto selection may not pick the best channel?

I did reboot the Loco M2 to see if it would pick a better frequency on power up but with it set to Auto it picked Channel 11 again.
    Last edited by Coaster; 02-21-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: AirView not AirMax as originally stated

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible solution to lag with Loco M2

wow. Great information. Of course, someone else could then pick channel 6 and the problem would be back.
    BUT, you now know why and could fix it on demand if necessary.
    thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have switched my show network to not have a password. I may switch to using wep I've learned wpa creates additional handshakes and can add delay.

Post Thanks / Like

It's my understanding that the nanostations will only do the auto detection at bootup. So when conditions change, it doesn't automatically adjust to compensate. And it's a fairly basic detection that it uses. It seems that it will quickly check the current channel for interference, and if nothing notable is interfering, it'll just set that as the channel and start working. If it does find interference, it'll cycle thru the list and stop at the first channel it seens without notable interference. So it's not equivalent to a proper channel scan over time that would pick the best channel. It just uses the first one that's good enough at the moment.

Airmax is a proprietary method of increasing distance and bandwidth that only works between pairs of airmax stations. It's designed for WiFi based backhaul links. ESPs or any other network device won't be able to connect to the AP when it's in airmax mode.

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    It's my understanding that the nanostations will only do the auto detection at bootup. So when conditions change, it doesn't automatically adjust to compensate. And it's a fairly basic detection that it uses. It seems that it will quickly check the current channel for interference, and if nothing notable is interfering, it'll just set that as the channel and start working. If it does find interference, it'll cycle thru the list and stop at the first channel it seens without notable interference. So it's not equivalent to a proper channel scan over time that would pick the best channel. It just uses the first one that's good enough at the moment.
    One thing I tried when having the problem was to reboot the Loco M2. It still selected Channel 11 and I still had bad lag. Whatever algorithm is used did not work for my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Airmax is a proprietary method of increasing distance and bandwidth that only works between pairs of airmax stations. It's designed for WiFi based backhaul links. ESPs or any other network device won't be able to connect to the AP when it's in airmax mode.
    Sorry, not AirMax, AirView under the Tools menu. Fixed in the original post.
    Last edited by Coaster; 02-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.