Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Completely Dead to Death Pixels/Matrix

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Completely Dead to Death Pixels/Matrix

Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been very ill for the last few days. Someone asked for pictures of my 8,789 pixel matrix and, just my luck, all I can find are unlit. However, here are photos of both front and back from when I finished putting all the pixels in. If anyone wants to do this, I can honestly tell you I enjoyed it and although it takes time, for someone like me who is disabled, well it's better than warching paint dry on the walls. I used a 4 ft x 8 ft Boscoyo matrix panel https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....hjdfgv25ikarh5 with one inch on center pre cut holes. I should note, the panel is made from the same material they use for pixel strips so it was very easy to pop the pixels in place. Boscoyo was clever enough to put an extra row between the one inch ones and offset them so they sit exactly in the middle between the row above and the one below. What this does is give you a choice between 47 rows with 95 columns (4,465 pixels at one inch center), or using the offsets you have 46 rows with 94 columns (4,324 pixels). Since the configuration is offset row by row by a half inch, you have the option of which you prefer. As I said, I'm bored a lot and being a complete novice worked in my favor. I overlapped the two on an Excel spreadsheet (it wasn't quite that quick or easy) but I was able to map all 8,789 pixels in a workable setup and then I had an 8 x 4 ft matrix with 1/2 inch on center because of the offset. Before I even started, I took the time to confer with people considerably more experienced, smarter, and probably better looking than me to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. It may sound better in my feeble brane than it looks on paper, but I would be happy to send the spreadsheet sheet to anyone who asks. Once you see the spreadsheet , you will understand what I've done a poor job describing and you can just paste it in as a custom model. If you actually build it, maybe you could send my wife a thank you note for her patience with me through it all. If anyone needs it, I will even be willing to build it for you and I promise not to plug it in. I genuinely enjoyed the six or seven years it took me to do that last October.Attachment 41275
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That thing must weigh a ton.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to pop back in real quick and say how incredible you all are. I'm afraid you don't hear it enough, but as a new LOR convert I had no idea such genuine altruism existed. Thank you for every moment any of you spent going over my tiny insignificant problems.

I have a question: being inexperienced as I am makes me an outsider looking in. I still see almost everything like it's brand new and I'm always wondering if there could be safer, maybe not better, ways of approaching some things here and there. I can do the easiest things upside backwards and I'm not delusional enough to think I will ever have a quarter of the skill you all do. I absolutely do not want to seem arrogant because I'm fully aware I don't have anything to be arrogant about. What I'm trying to ask is, since this forum is so willing to help dumbheads (a Texas word) like me and openly share best practices, where should I go to float my questions and ideas? I think it was on another thread in this forum I saw a great quote, that said whenever you're on the 32nd step of a 30 step extension ladder your wife may suddenly realize she's only one tiny shove away from a nice life insurance claim. At one time or another I suspect everyone here must have done something that wasn't entirely safe. Being physically limited, I have to be creative as well as extra cautious, and even though you guys probably already thought of every idea I've come across, I still want to put my ideas out there in the off chance it can help make Christmas lighting safer, maybe more fun, or just allow me an opportunity to return some of the kindness I've received. My disability also affects my cognitive ability, so even though I've tried, I haven't done a good job of finding where I should post such things.

Regardless, thanks to all. My wife, son, and I are very grateful for your time. I may be 4,000 pixels poorer this year, but I've learned a great deal of respect and appreciation for everyone's assistance.

God bless you all.
    Last edited by samstone; 02-24-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a forum topic called "the lounge" where you can ask any question on any topic. If your question is at all technical, there is usually a forum topic that can be used. Most of us do not get too uptight about which sub forum you are using. Just stay out of the vendors area.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

5. Thanks samstone thanked for this post
    Likes samstone liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123