Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WS2811 Lights Not Working With F16v2

Post Thanks / Like

Default WS2811 Lights Not Working With F16v2

I have a f16v2 controller and it works fine with WS2801 strips, but when I plug in WS2811 strips, nothing happens, even though on the web interface I have WS2811 selected. Any idea why they aren't working?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WS2811 Lights Not Working With F16v2

Check data lead of WS2811...may have it in Clock, but should be in data.
    Or feeding strips from wrong end
    or Check voltage
    Or ???
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

are you on the latest firmware version?
    Errors for fun only.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though things work fine on another type of strand, you can’t assume that your setup is correct. You have to start from the beginning and check each step. The majority of my problems are something I’ve overlooked even when things were working fine before I changed something.

...or make sure that you have some number of lights in the “pixel count” field on the “String Port” page. It should default to 50, but if it’s zero, you’ll get nothing.

...or make sure the “blank” checkbox isn’t checked on the port you’re running.

...or make sure you are connected to the right port.

...or make sure you have power to the bank where you have connected the lights. The controller draws from V2, and V2 powers ports 9-16, iirc. Ports 1-8 aren’t powered unless you run power to V1. This is a common mistake.

...or check your connections. The ground wire on pixels has an annoying tendency to disconnect itself and you’ll never know it unless you tug on it. Lots of “pixelsnoworky” problems come from a wire that looks like it’s connected, but is in fact a tiny bit loose.

...or it is entirely possible that the chip on the first pixel is bad. A bad chip can take down anything downstream of it.
    Last edited by Kensington; 02-16-2019 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thing happened. I have been plugging in the female end of the WS2811 strips into the f16v2. I tried plugging in the male end using jumper wires and it worked! Unfortunately, a lot of the strips that I have only have female ends, is there a way to reserve which end of the strip that the data comes from?

Post Thanks / Like

"Reverse" which end of the strip the data comes from, not "reserve". My bad.

Post Thanks / Like

data only runs 1 way
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

Data only travels in one direction through the WS2811 chip and strands... there is normally a directional arrow somewhere on the chip inside the bullet, or the wire. You can always change out one or more of your pigtails from the controller to be female so you can plug your male ends in. Or switch the male ends on the strand to female. Just note the start and end of each strand so you know the proper direction to daisy chain.

Post Thanks / Like

When you are sure you have the right direction and the wrong plug, you can cut the plug and solder it to other end.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybroccoli View Post
    Interesting thing happened. I have been plugging in the female end of the WS2811 strips into the f16v2. I tried plugging in the male end using jumper wires and it worked! Unfortunately, a lot of the strips that I have only have female ends, is there a way to reserve which end of the strip that the data comes from?
    No. And there is no consistency in which end gets the male/female plugs either. The only thing I have not seen come messed up (yet) is the power connections. I have taken to cutting the connectors off and replacing them with custom connectors.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast