Thread: Pixel splitter help...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel splitter help...

I have recently completed one of the renard pixel splitter kits and put it to use. I get the entire splitter to work perfectly fine and split the data signal as well as the power without a problem.

I do have one issue and I didn't know if there was a solution to it or not or maybe I'm using it wrong. After I set it to the proper pixel count distribution on the three Outlets, it works great. Then when I shut down the power supply going to the pixel splitter And turn on the power supply a couple minutes later it seems to have reset the splitter and I have to go back in and set it back up with the pixel string counts for it to work properly again.

Does the splitter need power constantly and can not be shut down overnight? Or am I doing something wrong? If it does need constant pwr is there a wall wart to plug into it? Since I dont want the pixels attached to it to be under power for months on end without need.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pixel splitter help...

According to the Pixel Splitter Kit description:

"The splitter can be powered down over night and will retain is settings."

Not sure if there is any type of battery on board, or possibly a bad data chip?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see any place for a battery.
    I tried to email renard but it won't send figured I would ask on here first if anyone has had this issue with this item before I call them directly.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, it should defiantly retain the settings through a power cycle. The values are stored in the Nano’s eeprom memory so no battery is required, it should be able to be powered down for 11 months (or more) and still retain the settings.

When you power up the splitter does it display? – Renard PLUS 0.4

When you get to the end of the setup process does the last screen show the correct settings? It should display:

“A now” and the number of pixels you set.
    “B now” and the number of pixels you set.

This is a check that the values have been stored correctly and are read directly from the eeprom memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    When you power up the splitter does it display? Renard PLUS 0.4
    Mister softee bought this from me. Is has 0.3 firmware. I wonder if version 0.4 will correct this issue.
    00DEBCFB-D741-4896-A190-7C9FAC7174B8.jpg
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does do this and it does work great after u set the strings and get the A now/ B now setting. But after I get it all to work , I pwr it down wait a minute or two and re power up, and I am back to square 1 again.

Where can I get the updated firmware from?

Great little item!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mister softee View Post
    Yes it does do this and it does work great after u set the strings and get the A now/ B now setting. But after I get it all to work , I pwr it down wait a minute or two and re power up, and I am back to square 1 again.

Where can I get the updated firmware from?

Great little item!
    http://renard-shop.com/home/61-octoscroller-cape.html

On the bottom of page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by critic2 View Post
    Mister softee bought this from me. Is has 0.3 firmware. I wonder if version 0.4 will correct this issue.
    Hi, yes it will. You must have bought one of the very first boards shipped that were flashed with preproduction firmware by mistake (other than that they are identical to the current boards). Only about 6 boards went out with this before it was spotted by Plasmadrive, it was my bad (sorry to any one affected) I sent the wrong file to Dean at Renard Plus.

@ mister softee.

Updating the firmware on these is quite easy.

If you go to the Renard plus page:
    http://renard-shop.com/home/61-octoscroller-cape.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Pixel Splitter prod v04 HEX” link to download the newer firmware. This file is not zipped so you just don’t need to do anything to it just remember where you down loaded it to.

From the same Renard plus page:
    Again scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “HEX Loader” link to down load the loader software. This file is zipped so will need unzipping.

Once unzipped and opened you will see a file called “XLoader.exe” if you click on this it will open XLoader. A small box will pop up.

Disconnect any power and pixels from the splitter board, with a standard USB cable connect the Nano to a USB on you PC.

In the top box “Hex file” select the “Pixel Splitter prod v04 HEX” file you just down loaded.

The next box down is “Device” select “Duemilanove/Nano(ATmega328)” from the dropdown list. <--- This line was edited, corrected wrong board. ---

The com port should be set by default if you have the Nano plugged in.

Leave the Baud rate set to the default 115200.

Click upload and it will confirm the upload is complete.

The new firmware is now uploaded. You can now reconnect the original power, at start-up it will not display anything on the screen - by default it boots into splitting mode and the screen is not used.
    To make changes or check the firmware you'll need to power down - hold the S2 button and power up again - after about three seconds the display should show "Renard PLUS v0.4" and the button can be released. Pressing button S1 will take you to the menu to set the pixel counts.

Even though you have worked out how to set the pixel counts for the outputs I would recommend checking the instructions again as I think the v0.4 menu is slightly different.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 02-12-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have gotten it all to work properly, i think.

The .4 firmware did help to keep the memory on it, however I also hooked a USB micro into it to give the board pwr when in use( pwrs off pi), no power to pixels. Then I can pwr pixels on and off and I never get any issues with it.

Great little Board so. I can run my under eve lights as wall washers, and they all do the same thing, off 1 pi port.