Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Floodight Board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Floodight Board

Can someone tell where to get the 3-D glasses to be able to see the board designs? My gosh there is a lot going on there in a small space.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Just went through building a BOM at digikey and was floored at the cost of a full BOM. If I stay with a 60v ceiling, it prices out at just under $20. Volume purchase would drop that price around $15. Simply dropping the max voltage from 60V to 50v drops the BOM to 12, 40v is well under 10. Did some research and it appears that 36v covers every thing from 10w to 150w LED Chips, so I going to rework to have a 50V layout and a 40V layout both with complete BOMs. I am only going to move forward with one of them for myself, both versions will be available as Open Source. My current test platform only uses passives rated to 40V. The cost differences have nothing to do with the various ICs in the design, but the inductors and caps at 60v are insane. 3 10uF caps cost over 6 dollars, whereas 3 50v cost 1.74 and 3 40v come in at 30 cents.

Comments

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 40V version is more than sufficient for most all hobby related LED uses. A 100 watt RGB is a rather large pixel.
    Excellent work! Thank you for doing this for the community!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    Just went through building a BOM at digikey and was floored at the cost of a full BOM.
    Putting a board together with a cost effective BOM is an art. There are lots of ways to shave down the cost. I usually shop during the design phase and build a BOM from different sources (Digikey, Mouser, Arrow, Jameco, Tayda and sometimes AliExpress). If you want 1 source then it's always going to cost more. Multiple sources can be a pain but can save a lot of money. You can also find some parts on AliExpress that you can't find anywhere else. There's a risk with a source like that but if you're making a smallish quantity then it can work out well. I recently reduced a $26 BOM down to $11 by shopping around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, LCSC is a parts division linked to JLCPCB. For my last project I found them to be very competitive and shipped the parts with the boards. For what its worth I would use them again.

https://lcsc.com/

Invoice_1.JPG
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 02-15-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    ...Simply dropping the max voltage from 60V to 50v drops the BOM to 12, 40v is well under 10. Did some research and it appears that 36v covers everything from 10w to 150w LED Chips ... the inductors and caps at 60v are insane. 3 10uF caps cost over 6 dollars, whereas 3 50v cost 1.74 and 3 40v come in at 30 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I think the 40V version is more than sufficient for most all hobby related LED uses. A 100 watt RGB is a rather large pixel.

Yeah, I was wondering why 60v was part of the original design goal and I agree that 40v should cover most (if not all) DIY/hobby uses

Post Thanks / Like

Those are some very good PCB prices.
    I may have to give them a try provided they don't charge extra for vscoring my self panelized boards. (seeed does not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, LCSC is a parts division linked to JLCPCB. For my last project I found them to be very competitive and shipped the parts with the boards. For what its worth I would use them again.

https://lcsc.com/

Invoice_1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

I have used JLC before. The price is awesome snd the quality is great. Definitely spring for the faster shipping though. Last one took three weeks to get here.
    Don’t know about V scoring though. Couldn’t imagine it would be too much if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    I may have to give them a try provided they don't charge extra for vscoring my self panelized boards. (seeed does not)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    They didn't on my earlier boards. But does appear that they may have adjusted their pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

I use JLC for some of my stuff. Have like 8 different boards being made by them at the moment. They are quick and quality is great as well. Dunno about v-scoring your own stuff and how to go about having them do it. If you just submit gerbers for one board they have a panelization option you can choose and they will set all that up. I think they won't v-score anything under 30-35mm or something like that.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast