Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 118

Thread: New Floodight Board

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills TX
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    I really like this approach--it allows us to tinker (to our likely demise and eventual learning)...
    I'm a believer in open source, hardware and software. If interested, I should have the files out there after I get the next batch of boards so I can verify they are correct. Last thing I need to do is put something out there that has an issue.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    This is a tricky answer, there is a line-driver on the board so the answer is "yes it is part of the board." But its not on the data out signal so the actual answer is "not for that purpose." I am a little confused since I've never had an issue cascading the data-signal, nor has anyone reported an issue with my pixiflood boards. I have 13 in that configuration year round on the front of my house without issue. During Halloween, I've spread them apart as far as 15' without issue as well. Can it be added, yes easily requires the driver, 1 cap and results in extra cost of under a buck. What's other peoples thoughts on the need, how far apart are you thinking?
    My first thought was "not needed" since cascading has always been possible the same way we can cascade pixel strings. On the other hand, its a lot more common to spread the floods apart more than we do with pixel strings and if the extra cost is under a buck, that changes my opinion a bit and seems to me like it would be well worth it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills TX
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    My first thought was "not needed" since cascading has always been possible the same way we can cascade pixel strings. On the other hand, its a lot more common to spread the floods apart more than we do with pixel strings and if the extra cost is under a buck, that changes my opinion a bit and seems to me like it would be well worth it.
    Just looked up the cost, 40 cent increase in total cost would be the impact.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    441
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Thatís been my thought. Floods, by their very nature, are likely to be spread apart.

    Depending on what wire is being used, Iíve noticed that my data-signal doesnít always travel as far as needed (hence, Iíve had to manually add a line-driver, u-Amp).

    Just think that might be something to consider adding to the DO. This would be especially nice when using a voltage higher than what the stand-alone drivers can accommodate (thus requiring the need to add both a buck-converter AND line-driver)

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills TX
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Here is the correct picture of the floodlight board:
    pixiflood_3.png

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    That seems like a no brainer depending on the impact to the board size.
    Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    Just looked up the cost, 40 cent increase in total cost would be the impact.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills TX
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Quote Originally Posted by ukewarrior View Post
    That seems like a no brainer depending on the impact to the board size.
    Agreed, line-driver by itself would have no impact to size. I question the buck/boost impacts to size and need. It seems you can't boost the signal too high or it could cause damage at short ranges and how high is high enough. I could see using a op-amp, which is what a line driver is under the coverts, to boost the signal, there really isn't much current in a data signal. It would be small and very cheap, but I still need to understand how much boost is desired.

    So I will add a line driver to DO for certain, still need to understand the boost requirement.

    What's interesting to note there is a 100ohm resister on the DIN. Eliminating or changing out for a lower value would have a similar effect at some distances.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Given this, my feedback would be:
    1. Add the line driver
    2. I think the buck/boost can be kept off. Those boards are cheap and small.
    3. If the resistor may need to change based on the distance, then is it possible for it to be a through hole component or use a Pot to dial it in?
    Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    Agreed, line-driver by itself would have no impact to size. I question the buck/boost impacts to size and need. It seems you can't boost the signal too high or it could cause damage at short ranges and how high is high enough. I could see using a op-amp, which is what a line driver is under the coverts, to boost the signal, there really isn't much current in a data signal. It would be small and very cheap, but I still need to understand how much boost is desired.

    So I will add a line driver to DO for certain, still need to understand the boost requirement.

    What's interesting to note there is a 100ohm resister on the DIN. Eliminating or changing out for a lower value would have a similar effect at some distances.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    441
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    Yeah, I was just requesting if the "line-driver/uAmp" to be added to the board.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    North Richland Hills TX
    Posts
    630
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Floodight Board

    its been added, upper right corner.
    pixiflood_3.png

    Partlist

    Exported from PixiFlood_AL8862.sch at 2/14/19 3:38 PM

    Part Value Device Package Library Sheet
    C1 100uF CPOL-USUD-6,3X5,8 UD-6,3X5,8_NICHICON rcl 1
    C2 .1uF C-USC0805 C0805 rcl 1
    C3 .1uF C-USC0805 C0805 rcl 1
    C4 .1uF C-USC0805 C0805 rcl 1
    C5 10uF CPOL-USSMCD SMC_D rcl 1
    C6 10uF CPOL-USSMCD SMC_D rcl 1
    C7 10uF CPOL-USSMCD SMC_D rcl 1
    D1 3A/40V/500mV DIODE-SCHOTTKY-B340A SMA-DIODE SparkFun-DiscreteSemi 1
    D2 3A/40V/500mV DIODE-SCHOTTKY-B340A SMA-DIODE SparkFun-DiscreteSemi 1
    D3 3A/40V/500mV DIODE-SCHOTTKY-B340A SMA-DIODE SparkFun-DiscreteSemi 1
    D4 3A/40V/500mV DIODE-SCHOTTKY-B340A SMA-DIODE SparkFun-DiscreteSemi 1
    IC1 WS2811SOP8 WS2811SOP8 SO08-P-1.27 drivers 1
    IC2 BD9G401EFJ-M BD9G401EFJ-M SOIC127P600X100-9N drivers 1
    IC3 TC7W04FP-0.65 TC7W04FP-0.65 SSOP8-0.65P-(TSSOP8) logic 1
    IC4 AL-8862 AL-8862 SOIC8 drivers 1
    IC5 AL-8862 AL-8862 SOIC8 drivers 1
    IC6 AL-8862 AL-8862 SOIC8 drivers 1
    IC7 74LVC1G125DBV 74LVC1G125DBV SOT23-5 logic 1
    L1 INDUCTOR-SDR0403 SDR0403 bourns 1
    L2 SLF7045T-101MR60-H SLF7045 SLF7045 inductors 1
    L3 SLF7045T-101MR60-H SLF7045 SLF7045 inductors 1
    L4 SLF7045T-101MR60-H SLF7045 SLF7045 inductors 1
    R1 33R R-US_M1206 M1206 rcl 1
    R2 100ohm R-US_R0805 R0805 rcl 1
    R3 4.7k R-US_R1206 R1206 rcl 1
    R4 4.7k R-US_M0805 M0805 rcl 1
    R5 4.7k R-US_M0805 M0805 rcl 1
    R6 4.7k R-US_M0805 M0805 rcl 1
    R7 4.7k R-US_R0805 R0805 rcl 1
    R8 4.7k R-US_R1206 R1206 rcl 1
    R9 4.7k R-US_R1206 R1206 rcl 1
    R10 .3ohm .25w R-US_R1210 R1210 rcl 1
    R11 .3ohm .25w R-US_R1210 R1210 rcl 1
    R12 .3ohm .25w R-US_R1210 R1210 rcl 1
    X1 22-23-2041 22-23-2041 22-23-2041 connectors 1
    X2 MPT6 6POL254 con-phoenix-254 1

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •