Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Floodight Board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Floodight Board

I've designed a new floodight board the supports anything from 10w to 100w using the same board and components. I eliminated soldering the led directly to the board since LEDs very by wattage and layout. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in it. I designed this to address my changing needs for different powered floodlight and I can now change power simply by changing out the LED.

The board is 30mm x 40 mm and fits into the back or lower compartment of the floodlight housing and you connect to the led via wires. It supports voltages from 12v to 60v. This design is based on a new controller chip that recently became available and is price competitive to the PT4115 that is used in Pixiflood and Rob G's boards. An additional feature is there is a "sidecar" capability for a submodule which adds pixelstick capabilities to the flood light. The nice part of the sidecar is it can be connected and disconnected without tools or soldering. It make it easy to use it to test the assembly.

I have also used the board to drive strings of dumb pixels from smart controllers, It can control up to 3 strings from a single board since floodlights can be treated as 3 channels.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 02-10-2019 at 10:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Floodight Board

I’m interested.

I see you’re in the DFW area. Are you a member of the North Texas Light-O-Holics group? Would love to get my hands on one or more of your boards to play with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    I’m interested.

I see you’re in the DFW area. Are you a member of the North Texas Light-O-Holics group? Would love to get my hands on one or more of your boards to play with
    No, I hadn't heard of them but would be interested. I just sent off for another batch of boards. Here's what the board looks like with the side car.
    pixiflood_3.png
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 02-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI my intention is to make the board open source.

This picture shows the relative size between from top to bottom, the original PixiFlood 10W board, my Pixiflood with a built-in pixelstick, and the new board on the bottom.
    pixiflood_3.jpg
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 02-10-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any photos of it assembled? Sounds pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    No, I hadn't heard of them but would be interested.
    We typically meet in Plano monthly after taking a couple months break for Christmas. I’ll PM you more details.
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 02-10-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, this is certainly something very useful!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, I will certainly be following this closely to try out! Thanks for doing this!
    ~Jason
    [URL]http://www.tooz.us[/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

typo on the constant current driver I used, https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/AL8862.pdf for those interested. What made it work from those available was 60v max and under a buck a piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    typo on the constant current driver I used, https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/AL8862.pdf for those interested. What made it work from those available was 60v max and under a buck a piece.
    Very interesting design. I like it. Question though. Your board design looks like the led driver chips are layed out for an SOT89-5 design but the AL8862 pdf says it only comes in SO-8EP design. Am I looking at that wrong?
    Also, what transistor chip is that youíre using in between the ws2811 and the driver?
    Ok, couple questions. Are you relying on a linear voltage regulator to reduce up to 36v to 5v or is there a switching circuit Iím not seeing? Thatís a lot of heat to mitigate.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast