Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: New Floodight Board

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Floodight Board

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    The board is working as expected.. Iíve had a 10, 20, and 30 watt floodlight running 24x7 for a week without issue. Iím working on power cycling them now to help ensure they continue to work.
    AJ, how about the SideCar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    See reply #25...

Thatís not this revision.

Post Thanks / Like

The base board is currently 33x49mm

Side car is 15x30 and both are working. Still need to do some range testing on the sidecar in a floodlight housing.

Rethinking sidecar location, debating if I should stack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stampedeboss View Post
    The base board is currently 33x49mm

Side car is 15x30 and both are working. Still need to do some range testing on the sidecar in a floodlight housing.

Rethinking sidecar location, debating if I should stack it.

As far as range - would it be possible to have an SMA connector for the wifi as an option? That way a SMA bulkhead could be used with an external antenna for better range. I would imagine it will be pretty short with an antenna inside a metal housing....

Post Thanks / Like

issue is the currently supported ESP modules don't have an SMA connector. One of the reasons for stacking the boards is to move the chip closer to the glass in the floodlight casing. I'm hoping that the ESPPixelStick frimware will support more variants of the ESP chip in the near future. For me this isn't a hardware issue but one of software and what it supports. The sidecar just provides conditioned power to the ESP chip and a connector for the data from the ESP module.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice,
    you can get 6 boards in a 10x10 panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    See reply #25...

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Floodight Board

Just got confirmation that my new boards shipped via DHL and should arrive by this weekend. The layout has changed for a number of reasons including better fit/layout in a 10w enclosure. The prototype boards have worked without issue other than my error on the buck converter which has been fixed. The two boards measure 33mmx49mm for the driver, and the "hat" measures 20mmx22mm which yields 6 boards per 10cmx10cm board and 16 per 10x10 board. That drives the cost down, the current BOM cost is right around 8 dollars for just the driver and an additional 2 dollars for the ESP hat.

Pixiflood.png

I can run a group buy if there is enough interest, We can do it in kit form, assembled (I would need a minimum of 250 boards to drive down the "pre-assembly" costs), or I can just release the files. I realize that very few of the hats will be needed since you will typically use one then daisy chain the lights together. I have 1 in use that drives a total of 13 10w floodlights. I could have them packaged separately so we minimize waste and cost, but that again goes back to interest.

The driver has been tested with multiple 10W, 20W, and 30W LEDs with no changes to the components. That is a range of 12v - 36v for one of the 30W. I've also ordered a 50W and 100W chip but based on their specs I don't see an issue. They pull more current, but no additional voltage than I am currently handling. The traces were sized to carry 1.5amps per color which far exceeds the spec for 100W floodlights I have seen.

I ended up using a stacked arrangement for the ESP module, the carrier board sits on top of driver board which reduces the footprint and brings the antenna up to just below the glass for better transmission in thee slimline cases. In my testing I got clean reception on the far end of my garage. Due to my mounting them in the soffits pointing down, the module has a clear path from the router in the house to the antenna. It does not work as well if pointing away from the house since the metal casing then blocks the signals.
    Last edited by stampedeboss; 04-17-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!!
    One vote in for the files for me. I like building my own stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Floodight Board

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Very nice!!
    One vote in for the files for me. I like building my own stuff.
    Either way I will post the files., and Iíve started creating a troubleshooting video for YouTube which explains how the various components work and interact. It should give you insight on what to do if there are issues.

Last edited by stampedeboss; 04-17-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in fully assembled with sidecar. I realize that a single sidecar could be used in a multi-flood daisy-chain. But for flexibility, I think I'll still get a sidecar with each one anyway
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 04-17-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast