Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick question about Renard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick question about Renard

Iím new to all this. I bought a used Renard SS24 that is setup with the DMX firmware. Would I set this up as a Renard controller in Xlights or as a Renard?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick question about Renard

Renard is an overloaded term. The renard line of controllers can be configured to run many protocols. two of the more popular are the renard protocol and the dmx protocol. the show player only cares about which protocol you are using. you need to configure xlights to use dmx and then you need to get a usb2dmx dongle. those cost more than the usb to rs485 generic dongles that the renard protocol uses. i suggest reflashing the pic on your renard controller to use the renard protocol. your life will be simpler.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

3. Likes mrGrumpy, Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Renard is an overloaded term. The renard line of controllers can be configured to run many protocols. two of the more popular are the renard protocol and the dmx protocol. the show player only cares about which protocol you are using. you need to configure xlights to use dmx and then you need to get a usb2dmx dongle. those cost more than the usb to rs485 generic dongles that the renard protocol uses. i suggest reflashing the pic on your renard controller to use the renard protocol. your life will be simpler.
    Thanks for the response Martin! Last year was my first year adding pixels to my display.... 4 leaping arches driven by an aphapix4. Previously I had all static led string lights. I want to do a little something with all the led string lights so I decided to add a renard to the mix. This year I plan on adding a house outline and maybe a few other props driven by a falcon.

So if I wanted to connect the Renard straight to my laptop to familiarize myself right now, my best and easiest option would be to buy a usb2rs485 dongle and re-flash the renard, correct? I've never flashed a controller before. I know I need a programmer to do this but is it something that's complicated?

Eventually, I would like to have the renard connected through the falcon so is that just a matter of plugging the renard into the falcon and setting up the falcon to see the renard?

Post Thanks / Like

The Sticky folders here are a good read. Wayne J has some very good videos for flashing pics. It is a pretty straight forward process, especially if you do not need to make changes to the firmware (.asm file) and use the hex file provided.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how to flash PICs...easy peasy!

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...SMWIN-software
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

A renard controller running the renard protocol is one of the simpler things to set up and configure. look at the videoes and remember that many people have done this so there are lots of people to help.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

8. Thanks Wayne J thanked for this post
    Likes TazChaLet, Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    A renard controller running the renard protocol is one of the simpler things to set up and configure. look at the videoes and remember that many people have done this so there are lots of people to help.
    Going to order a programmer and give it a shot. I know where to come if I need help.

10. Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjrobin27 View Post
    The one I showed you in our PMs is perfect for what you need.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

13. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    The one I showed you in our PMs is perfect for what you need.
    10-4...I'll order the one you PM'd me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast