Thread: DLovely DIYLEDExpress E1.31 DMX Bridge Test mode oddity

Post Thanks / Like

Default DLovely DIYLEDExpress E1.31 DMX Bridge Test mode oddity

Dave Lovely's E1.31 Bridge sold by DIYLEDExpress doesn't obey the output settings in test mode (I think).

I am using the Bridge to speak Renard or DMX with appropriate connecting cables and board jumper settings.
    I configure the bridge to use Unicast with universe numbers 1-12 defined. I sequentially assign 1 universe to each Bridge output.
    I configure 1 bridge output for 24 channels but all the other Bridge outputs have 0 channels assigned.
    I connect a Renard SS24 to whichever Bridge output has 24 channels assigned. The SS24 has each AC output connected to a test bulb.

I use a test pattern of "all red".
    If I configure 24 channels on Bridge output 1, every third channel starting with Renard channel 1 turns on as expected.
    If I reconfigure to 24 channels on Bridge output 2, every third channel starting with Renard channel 2 turns on.
    If I reconfigure to 24 channels on Bridge output 3, every third channel starting with Renard channel 3 turns on.
    The same pattern offset +1 applies for green and offset +2 for blue.
    The behavior is the same for Bridge firmware version 4.02 and 4.04.

When I create a simple configuration in xLights, and map universes and channels as defined in the Bridge configuration, sequences run correctly.

The math for the test pattern mapping makes sense if the Bridge is sending 512 channels out of each output whether that output has channels mapped or not. Is that what is happening?

Am I seeing what I think I am seeing?
    Is that behavior by design? I can understand how it might be intended to test the Bridge and not the configuration.

This glitch gets me every year and I end up spending a lot of time puzzling over it. I finally got the chance to test it. I will likely put a note in the enclosure to remind myself of the behavior.
    Last edited by Jerry-Rigs; 02-02-2019 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Included firmware version.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DLovely DIYLEDExpress E1.31 DMX Bridge Test mode oddity

This would be normal behavior as the test patterns are meant for pixel testing using the extenders.
    Each pixel is 3 channels and the default is usually RGB so if you ask for a test of ALL RED, you should get channel 1, channel 4, channel 7 etc being turned on. I'll bet if you ask for Green it will light channels 2, channel 5, channel 8 etc.
    I don't think the test patterns were even there until the extenders were released a few years ago and the firmware updated to give users a test pattern.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DLovely DIYLEDExpress E1.31 DMX Bridge Test mode oddity

The test mode in the bridge is just for simple test procedures. It does not know your configuration in XLights so it will not follow any of those settings you have made. Its just basic and turns on every third channel starting with 1, 2, or 3. It does not follow the re-order assignments that can apply to the pixels after the data is received, example it just mimics generic incoming data.