Thread: Chroma Key

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chroma Key

This just an example of what I am trying to achieve.

Using the standard RGB pinwheel effect on a mega tree and have the arms change one by one to the Twinkle effect. So it would Change the red arm then the green, so on...

I thought I could use the Chroma key layer but it appears that I can not use the layer twice for two different colours.
    Am I doing something wrong or can you only use one layer of the chroma key?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chroma Key

Any ideas as to if I am using it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Not 100% sure on this but you need to create multiple chroma layers, one for each color you are blocking out. So you would have a chroma red, a chroma green, etc. Then stack them appropriately.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have tried the multiple chroma layers correctly..... maybe......lol
    if I have say, 2 chroma layers, changing the colour configuration appears to change on both the chroma layers.

.................edit..............

I just got the two independent colours to hold on the layers.

The issue I have now is that when I stack the effects in the sequencer, both chroma layered effects will not take place at the same time.
    Last edited by bretheron; 03-11-2019 at 05:42 PM. Reason: it changed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bretheron View Post
    I think I have tried the multiple chroma layers correctly..... maybe......lol
    if I have say, 2 chroma layers, changing the colour configuration appears to change on both the chroma layers.

.................edit..............

I just got the two independent colours to hold on the layers.

The issue I have now is that when I stack the effects in the sequencer, both chroma layered effects will not take place at the same time.
    I think there are issues with the Chroma Key implementation. It should work as you have described but does not. I have also found issues with trying to set the configurations and also inability to delete the Chroma Key layers.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    I think there are issues with the chroma key implementation. It should work as you have described but does not. I have also found issues with trying to set the configurations and also inability to delete the chroma key layers.
    I submitted a bug report on some of the functional issues with setting up multiple chroma key layers and have a workaround for those issues. However, I still don't have a solution to your initial question. Because layers add from top to bottom (bottom being the default layer), adding a second chroma key layer only affects the layer immediately below it which in this case is the twinkle that replaces the red arm of the pinwheel. A green chroma key layer on a twinkle above that would be trying to replace any red twinkles with green. Since there aren't any (only white), nothing happens. Likewise any subsequent chroma key layers for masking blue would only apply to the level below it which is a twinkle on a green chroma key layer. Again, no change will occur since there isn't any pure blue in the lower layer. Layering can be confusing but it is very powerful and worth playing with. I just wish I was better at it.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that mate. I love playing with the layers and you can certainly produce some amazing and confusing results.