Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mega tree against the house

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega tree against the house

I would try to figure out a way to use strapping, like they use on pallets, to wrap from the arch and through the window to support the top of the tree. That way you avoid putting any holes in the stone work. I would also go with a 180 degree tree. I would also make a base, 3/4 emt/pvc curved in a semi-circle, for the bottom because you won't be able to secure the strings into the sidewalk.

You may also want to consider going higher, because of the bushes on the right side you may need/want to lift the base to clear them. Maybe to the top of the window opening over the arch.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the height of the peak of your roof? Depending on the budget, you may be able to get more than you realize.

Post Thanks / Like

yea my budget was really only for 900 pixels for the tree and star. Looks like I may need to up that a bit. I think I may come up with a way to mount something that sits in the bottom of the opening on top of the arch to hold a boscoyo tree topper. Then run 16 strands down out in front of the bushes on the bottom. I think that would put me at like 18 foot strands. I think I could do 75 pixels each spaced at 3inches.

Post Thanks / Like

It would seem to me that it would be much easier putting it on the lawn in front of the walkway. Any reason why you’re not considering that?

Post Thanks / Like

I would bend a piece of sheet metal to make a hook over the window opening and use that to anchor the top. To further your decision, use a piece of hose and lay it out for the bottom ring. Keep in mind that the hose has to be formed into a fraction of a complete circle and that circle needs to be centered to the door. If it's not then your strings will have to be different sizes and will probably look odd. You probably won't be able to use your front door because the string will cross over it. That might affect mail delivery or cause other issues for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with dkelly. Put it in the yard. I don't like screwing, drilling, nailing anything to the house unless absolutely necessary. Remember this is up for about a month. Whatever you attach to to the house will be there the other 11 months. The stone work on the house is too nice, for me, to drill and mount anything on it. You could do a free standing 180 or flat mega tree right in front of the sidewalk or center in between the driveway and the opposite end of the house in the yard. If you do decide to attach it to the house I would be looking at how I could hide the attachment up in the peak somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I have with the yard is its slopes pretty good. It doesn't show much in the picture but there is about a foot drop between the arch and the sidewalk. I was thinking that trying to level something and then trying to figure out different strand lengths would be more work. I am going to do some playing with it this weekend and see what will make sense of it all.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ruppro 100%. Maybe a flat tree angled out will work best to get in front of the bush? Do some experiments to determine what will look best. A saddle on the sill in that opening above would make a great anchor. Use a 2x4 across the back longer than the opening. That way you wont need to drill into your stone and it will be easy to put up and take down. Not to mention very sturdy.
    I would avoid putting the tree in the yard so that you have more yard for other decorations. I have a small front yard and I find it limits my props. Also, I upgraded my tree in order to keep yearly cost down. I'm planning to upgrade it again this year from twelve to sixteen strings. Good luck with whatever you do.

Post Thanks / Like

A flat tree, angled if necessary, would be my choice for your setup.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I modeled it in xlights and I think I will go with a flat tree. I think it will keep the look I want and I can have some options for mounting. I had already thought about the saddle approach just didnt know what to call it. I think that would be the easiest to avoid putting holes in the stone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast