Thread: building a mega tree any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default building a mega tree any suggestions

Thing of building a 180 8 strand mega tree for next year. I am using a e1.31 bridge from DIY Express for my show now. I know I need a controller to work my tree any suggestions on a make and model. And any suggestions on how to build and programming it ( material and pixels)I use vixen lights software. Am also think of getting a raspberry pi to run my show

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: building a mega tree any suggestions

Trying to not come across too snarky, but there is tons of info here in the Wiki and on the DIYO, xLights & Falcon forums. You at least need to do a little research............ Google is your friend.......

Post Thanks / Like

8 strands would probably fall into the realm of a pixel tree vs a megatree. also an 8 strand tree will be good for simple effects, like color changes but nothing over the top like images or scrolling text.

what kind of budget are you working with? if you want a megatree, minimum height i would i would suggest would be 8ft at 16 strands.

without sounding to snobby, to use the word MEGA and TREE in the same sentence, the tree would need to be 12ft or higher. perhaps a 10ft could pass depending on the # of strands and spacing. LOL

good luck in your adventure. i'm assuming you are already running pixels???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdj6107 View Post
    without sounding to snobby, to use the word MEGA and TREE in the same sentence, the tree would need to be 12ft or higher. perhaps a 10ft could pass depending on the # of strands and spacing. LOL
    Boy did you open a can of worms! I didn’t know there was a definition for “Mega” tree. Maybe we need terms for all tree sizes. Should we go by height, pixels, strings ?? I have an 800 pixel, 16 strand tree but I don’t call it a Mega - just a pixel tree. It’s about 10 feet tall without the star but doesn’t seem gargantuan so I don’t feel it’s worthy of the Mega title. Next year it’ll be a 270 so maybe then I’ll look at it and decide it’s now a Mega!

I do agree that 8 strings will be enough to change colors and do some simple effects. I think the OP might want to search for examples of that tree size so they have an idea of what they’ll achieve.

5. Likes Jerry-Rigs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you’re already looking at a Raspberry Pi, get a Falcon PiCap an you’ll have a relatively inexpensive controller and show computer all-in-one. The PiCap can also output to Renard, DMX and LOR, so you’ll preserve some flexibility there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I offended anybody LOL. I wasn’t asking how to build a Mega Tree (pixel tree).

I was just looking for some guidance on a possible controller to operate a mega tree of anywhere from 8 to 16 strands of pixels. I was thinking an 8 foot three only because that would be one strand of 50 pixels 2 inches apart.

All of this is not set yet because I was thinking I probably should decide on a controller to work with my E1.31 DIY LED Express bridge I don’t know if there is a Renard controller for pixels. I do use a Renard SS16 control my regular lights. I have seen quite a few pixel controllers and the Internet I was just wondering which one would suit my purpose and if anyone had any suggestions.

I would also like to maybe show something like a figure Santa, snowman, Grinch scrolling on the tree.

Post Thanks / Like

As you stated there are a lot of controllers to chose. I currently run my 12 strand 62 pixel 10' tree from a Falcon F4V3. I like it because it is relatively inexpensive, and has the flexibility to add Differential Receivers with additional outputs at other places in your display. If you are going wireless, a PixelStick of some version is perfect.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do it on the cheap and you have one port free on the bridge just get a pixel extender from DIYLEDEXPRESS.
    Cost is $14.00 plus pixels and power supply.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJVenti View Post
    Sorry if I offended anybody LOL. I wasn’t asking how to build a Mega Tree (pixel tree).

I was just looking for some guidance on a possible controller to operate a mega tree of anywhere from 8 to 16 strands of pixels. I was thinking an 8 foot three only because that would be one strand of 50 pixels 2 inches apart.

All of this is not set yet because I was thinking I probably should decide on a controller to work with my E1.31 DIY LED Express bridge I don’t know if there is a Renard controller for pixels. I do use a Renard SS16 control my regular lights. I have seen quite a few pixel controllers and the Internet I was just wondering which one would suit my purpose and if anyone had any suggestions.

I would also like to maybe show something like a figure Santa, snowman, Grinch scrolling on the tree.
    I was just joking about the terms. 50 pixels per string is about 8 feet so your expectation is correct. 8 strings seems a bit sparse but there's nothing wrong with making that your first year effort. My tree started off at 50 pixels per string. I don't think you'll be happy trying to put a figure on a 8 string tree. You'll only have 8 pixels in width to work with. When I had 16 strings at 3 inch spacing and didn't like the look of pictures on it. Last year I did some testing with 16 strings at 2 inch spacing and it looked pretty good. Viewer distance also comes into play as to how good it looks.

I'd suggest using a controller that can handle double the size of your tree (plus your star - don't forget the star!) or can be re-purposed to another part of your display later. The reason is that pixel trees seem to grow from year to year. When one is full in maturity then it seems to spawn additional trees. Mine has sprouted a bunch of mini trees this year.

I ran my tree from this controller last year. I'll be using it again this year but have to add a Pi Hat to the mix because I'm adding another 450 pixels.
    Last edited by dcamron; 01-25-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Phil

How many pixels can I run a single pixel extender. This might be away to go. Any thought about a SanDivces if so any model you would suggest?