Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the current (Jan 2019) best way to run a Renard SS wirelessly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the current (Jan 2019) best way to run a Renard SS wirelessly

The ESP is a 2.4ghz device only. The M5 won't talk to it.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

2. Thanks Jerry-Rigs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the current (Jan 2019) best way to run a Renard SS wirelessly

After much deliberation, I have decided on the RenardESP with a hardware mod to use GPIO02 so I can use the latest ESPixelStick firmware and connecting with a Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2 used as an access point.

This link is what inspired me. Actually, another article inspired me but I can't find it anymore. I am going to order boards for the RenardESP from Bill's Oshpark link. Here are the mods I will make. The yellow line on the top view is a cut trace. The yellow line on the bottom view is wire jumper soldered in.
    Top view Hack Top.jpg Bottom view Hack Bottom.jpg

I will try the RenardESP w/mod on my LOR boxes as well. As a backup and for other uses, I want to use the DIGWDF ESP-RS485/DMX Serial Adapter. What a versatile little device. I bought the zipped Gerber files and the .dip file (probably not needed) from DIGWDF but I have a question. I have never ordered PCB boards to be fabricated before. At first I was just going to go through the front door on Oshpark but I saw a restriction on DIGWDF: "... you may not ... post the original DIGWDF files anywhere else such as Oshpark or Tindie." As I said, I have not ordered PCB fab'ed before, does Oshpark have non-shared projects? Can I send files to Oshpark to be fab'ed privately, or does that violate the DIGWDF terms? If I cannot use Oshpark, does anyone have suggestions for getting 1-5 boards made at a time?

Post Thanks / Like

This is turning into: I thought it would be easy, but....

I didn't keep good track of my various orders from various vendors and didn't realize until I went to build that I was still missing some components. Delays and spend more for rush delivery.
    I went cheap and didn't buy the DIP adapter Digikey part number 5746613-1-ND.
    I thought I found a cheap source for the DIP adapter Digikey part number 5746613-1-ND. I wasn't paying close enough attention and discovered after delivery it was the wrong thing. Grrr.
    So then I had the [bright|stupid] idea that I could make a suitable DIP header substitute from parts I had lying around the bench. Some combination of Dupont connectors should work. Two 1x4's could be used individually. Two 2x4's could be taped together (to make a 4x4) would have close enough spacing.
    Then I got very confused about the pin-outs.
    I looked at the Bill's write up for assembling the cable.
    I looked at drawings of the DIP header.
    I am still confused.
    The nature of the ribbon cable connectors is such that the pins on opposite sides of the connector next to each other on the ribbon cable so pin 1 and pin 8 are next to each other.
    After going round and round brain-dead late at night (or early in the morning depending on how to relate to time), I gave up on round 1.
    What pin from the RenardESP is connected to what pin on the RS-485 chip socket on the Renard? What is pin 1 on the shrouded socket on the RenardESP?

So. The questions:
    Where is pin 1 on the shrouded connector on the RenardESP board? Better yet, what is the pin number layout of the shrouded connector? Is this right?
    Shrouded PinoutTop.jpg
    What pins from the shrouded connector connect to what pins on the RS-485 chip socket on the Renard SS board?

Post Thanks / Like

here is Bill's build instructions for the board, http://www.billporter.info/2015/09/0...enard-dimmers/

As well as the thread for it, http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ight=renardesp
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jerry, a quick tip that you may find useful. If you are going to use Dupont connector cables into an IC socket put another IC socket into the one that is soldered to the board first. This may sound daft but the pins on the Dupont cables are thicker than the pins of an IC, they can over bend the contacts in an IC socket such that if you ever revert it may not gip the IC correctly. The second IC socket is just sacrificial to reduce the chances of damaging the one soldered to the board.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt,
    Thank you for the recommendation. I have been through the instructions and the "dev" thread and the "info" thread and the "minimal connections" thread and the "new firmware" thread and a few other threads where people talk about their problems or successes. Other than tracing through the photos in the dev thread and info thread and build instructions, I have not been able to to find anything that says "this pin on the shrouded connector connects to that pin on the SS socket. Trying to follow the pictures of the cable while dead tired did not help. Plus the fact that I was having trouble understanding how the ribbon cable single inline pin-out matches to the connector dual inline pin-out. Does pin 1 and 2 of the cable mate to pin 1 and 8 of the connector or do they mate to pin 8 and 1 of the connector?

You may not have been the original author, but I found a very useful photo in one of your posts that shows how to use the programming header on the board to connect to the SS but that doesn't help me with the shrouded connector.

BarnabyBear,
    Not daft at all. I was using Dupont connectors mostly for testing because I didn't have the right part. I discovered pretty quickly that individually they would not stay put very well in the DIP socket and I can also see that they would cause the DIP socket connections to warp over time.

Even though I have the correct part on the way, I'm still interested in the pinout to pinout assignments if anybody has them handy.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned that the test page in the ESPixelStick firmware does not apply to Renard output.

I am used to using the ESPixelStick firmware with pixels. The Renard functionality is new to me. I spent a lot of time (while brain dead tired) trying to get everything to work. The short story is .... I flashed the ESP. I connected the RenardESP to the Renard SS. I applied power. No smoke and the power lights on both the SS and RenardESP came on. I was able to access the ESPixelStick firmware webpage, so the board was connected to wifi and talking. I tried to use the "test page" of the firmware thinking that it would reduce the RGB to channels 1,2,3; 4,5,6; etc. I got no lights. I finally tried using xLights to test. Success! I assume that the test page is for pixels only.

Now to see if I can get the RenardESP to work with my LOR boxes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123