Thread: 6-Strand, 18AWG Direct Burial Interconnect Cable

Post Thanks / Like

Default 6-Strand, 18AWG Direct Burial Interconnect Cable

Today, I ended up getting about 1,500 feet of this 6-strand, 18AWG interconnect cable for free. There is another 2,000 feet I can still pickup if I want. Since I'm starting my first light show this year, I figured I could use it somewhere... if not everywhere in the display. This is some heavy duty shielded (and I believe made for direct burial) cable that was purchased for some radio/communication setup. It has a .37" (9.5mm) outer casing, a layer of meshed metal shielding, 3 sets of 2 Individually wrapped 18 AWG stranded cables (Red/Black, Green/Black, and White/Black) within plastic and foil.

Cable_Roll.jpg Cable_Strip_Outer.jpg Cable_Strip_Inner.jpg

The question is, what do I do with it, or more to the creative electronic geniuses here - what would you do with it for your displays? I thought about stripping some of it back and make my own 2-wire power injection cables or 3-wire cables to carry V+, D, V-? I could keep it shielded and run 2 sets of V+, D, V- to 2 props near each other. Any suggestions that may help alleviate cable-run nightmares I see in some displays?
    Last edited by AJR214; 01-22-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 6-Strand, 18AWG Direct Burial Interconnect Cable

It might be excellent for extension cables to your props or cables for power injection. Very lucky find. If you decide to sell any, please keep me in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 3 pairs of DMX cable? Does it have a Manufacturer’s name on it? Part number?
    Chuck P
    nothing to show

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by critic2 View Post
    Maybe 3 pairs of DMX cable? Does it have a Manufacturer’s name on it? Part number?
    On the cable sheathing it says "PPI 18WG/6COND Interconnect Cable". There is a sticker on 1 of the spindles that says "SP3922-TUV"

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. "PPI" usually stands for "Point-to-Point-Interface". 6 Conductor was used in some USB connector cables (early versions).
    Live, Laugh, Love.