Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Renard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with Renard

This was my first year adding pixels to my display. Just did 4 arch kit from holiday coro and built the arches from 2" HDPE tubing....Complete success! Kids loved it, neighbors loved it, friends loved it. Running Xlights on a laptop in the garage. Prior to this year it was just static led string lights and nothing more. The plan is to add more and more pixels each year but until I get to that point I would like to utilize my led's in some way. I've been reading a lot about Renard controllers but not sure I'm 100% confident I can build and set one up and what components i need to make it work with XLights. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to build and set one up from me? I was thinking a Renard TR-24. I'm an engineer so quite capable of figuring it out..eventually, but would rather someone do it correctly the first time. or if someone has a Renard controller they want to sell that would work for me. I have shrubbery and small trees that I add led string light to that I would like to add a few controllable features.

Thanks,
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help with Renard

Be happy to build it for you, but what about the renard ss24?
    And they are really not that hard to build. The only snag could be the firmware! Getting it on the control chips.
    519 Renard Channels
    1890 pixels channels
    Will it Ever Stop
    Cant Seem to Cure the C.L.A.P.
    Christmas Light Addiction Problem
    maybe more lights will help?

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a pm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by will3ishere View Post
    Be happy to build it for you, but what about the renard ss24?
    And they are really not that hard to build. The only snag could be the firmware! Getting it on the control chips.
    Awesome. Think the ss24 would be better for my application? Your right, I pro bcould handle the build but flashing and setting it up would give me trouble. Would the ss24 be all I need as far as hardware?
    Last edited by cjrobin27; 01-21-2019 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The PICs on the SS24 come pre-flashed by WayneJ. Add some pigtails and you are good to go.

6. Thanks Wayne J thanked for this post
    Likes Wayne J liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    The PICs on the SS24 come pre-flashed by WayneJ. Add some pigtails and you are good to go.
    Yep, if you pick up one of my kits it comes with the PICs pre-flashed and the SS Renard wiki is second to none for information on the controller, the build, and troubleshooting if you need it.
    http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...ntroller_Board
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

USB to RS-485 serial adapter. Or if you have a PI hat or F16 or the E1.31 bridge. They all provide a Renard compatible output.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne J View Post
    Yep, if you pick up one of my kits it comes with the PICs pre-flashed and the SS Renard wiki is second to none for information on the controller, the build, and troubleshooting if you need it.
    http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...ntroller_Board
    Basically I would have to build the controller, install the firmware, test it and that's it? What does the starter kit come with?

Also, is it complicated to setup the Renard in Xlights? I have an alphapix4 running the arches and that was pretty easy to setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjrobin27 View Post
    Basically I would have to build the controller, install the firmware, test it and that's it? What does the starter kit come with?

Also, is it complicated to setup the Renard in Xlights? I have an alphapix4 running the arches and that was pretty easy to setup.
    I send the Kits with the firmware already installed. All you have to do is solder the components on and test. Then it will need to be in an enclosure and have pigtails installed. That is where my Starter Kit comes in. It has everything you need to wire the power and the pigtails, as well as the USB/RS485 adapter, cat5 cable, and a Vast FM transimitter. Here is the complete list....
    http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...665#post311665

And if you need help with the assembly, just PM me and I may can help you.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I am a recent Renard SS24 newb. I have a good-ish soldering station (Hakko fx-888d) and I have built about 10 boards before.
    If you have a good-ish soldering iron and are comfortable using it, the SS series is an easy build.
    The documentation is fantastic. The only problem is getting through of all it.
    If you are unsure of your skills, the beginner's guide is an excellent resource to walk you through post-build verification.

I ended up re-flashing my EEPROM's and so I needed a programmer. I used a chip clip and a knock-off PicKit.
    There are dozens of examples of ways that people have successfully programmed the chips. The trick is finding one is simple for you.

I added the Renard because I already had a DLovely designed E1.31 bridge to talk to it with. I am looking at going Wifi with a Bill Porter designed RenardESP.
    If I were to do it again, I would add in the status light mod.

All-in-all, an easy build, a solid board, an great support.

12. Likes Wayne J liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast