Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just saw this update for FPP 2.6.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just saw this update for FPP 2.6.

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    Sounds like it's all complicated. How much easier can it get? Export sequences and upload to FPP. If running more than 1 Pi, sync them and it's done.
    Thats the goal. The reason for the discussion is that the FPP developers are changing the internal format of FSEQ files. The old format will still be recognized, but the new format allows enhanced features. So the discussion is around if/how/why Vixen might be updated to take advantage of some or all the new FSEQ enhancements in FPP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmiller View Post
    Sounds like it's all complicated. How much easier can it get? Export sequences and upload to FPP. If running more than 1 Pi, sync them and it's done.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
    it is that simple but only until your show gets so big that those exported sequence files are so big they don't fit on an SD card, or the Pi can't read them as fast as it needs to play them. Once you hit that point, then these other mechanisms become necessary. We're doing our best to make it as seamless as possibly.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran FPP 2.5.3 this season and it worked great. The difference I saw was the time between sequences was short. Last year I had lags of 5-6-7 seconds between sequences and this year maybe just 1-2 seconds at the most.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I'm not trying to argue, but I'm really struggling to see where it comes into play. If it's not to maintain consistency with your sequencer, why would you choose to start each FPP instance at something other than 1?
    One situation that you may consider (just consider, not super important) would be for folks that use BOTH xLights and Vixen for various parts of their show. They may be moving from one to the other or maybe have some songs in one (like using xLights for the xLights around the World and Vixen of the rest). Being able to use the same channel numbers for the fseq exports may be important for them. Anyway, just something to think about. Likely not too many folks fall into that category and those that do are likely more advanced.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    One situation that you may consider (just consider, not super important) would be for folks that use BOTH xLights and Vixen for various parts of their show. They may be moving from one to the other or maybe have some songs in one (like using xLights for the xLights around the World and Vixen of the rest). Being able to use the same channel numbers for the fseq exports may be important for them. Anyway, just something to think about. Likely not too many folks fall into that category and those that do are likely more advanced.
    That applies to me.

I use both sequencers for different reasons. XLATW is one example. Purchased sequences is another. I create most of my own sequences in Vixen but I use some shared and purchased xLights sequences too. I figured its a smaller subset of all users so I didn't make a point of it in my earlier comments.

Because of this, I've been forced to always do a full export (all controllers) in Vixen (to keep the channel numbers aligned with FPP's absolute channels). I always knew that I could do psuedo-sparse (Jeff-style) exports in Vixen, but I can't use that feature when my FPP's are set up to play sequences from mixed sources. The only thing missing is for Vixen to allow an absolute start channel offset to be written in the exported fseq data header. Even something as simple as a User Prompt for the export starting channel (with a default of 1) would be fine.

As Dan said, just consider it, not super important, but would be a nice update and very much appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixelpuppy View Post
    That applies to me.

I use both sequencers for different reasons. XLATW is one example. Purchased sequences is another. I create most of my own sequences in Vixen but I use some shared and purchased xLights sequences too. I figured its a smaller subset of all users so I didn't make a point of it in my earlier comments.

Because of this, I've been forced to always do a full export (all controllers) in Vixen (to keep the channel numbers aligned with FPP's absolute channels). I always knew that I could do psuedo-sparse (Jeff-style) exports in Vixen, but I can't use that feature when my FPP's are set up to play sequences from mixed sources. The only thing missing is for Vixen to allow an absolute start channel offset to be written in the exported fseq data header. Even something as simple as a User Prompt for the export starting channel (with a default of 1) would be fine.

As Dan said, just consider it, not super important, but would be a nice update and very much appreciated
    I don't have any problems at looking into supporting the basic user entered offset. That in and of itself would not be a big deal. I would like to figure out how to present that in the UI in a way it was clearly an advanced option so that it does not confuse those folks who don't need that. I am guessing you might be willing to help test that in some way being as it seems to fit in your setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I would like to figure out how to present that in the UI in a way it was clearly an advanced option so that it does not confuse those folks who don't need that.
    I understand and I'm totally fine with it defaulting to start channel 1 for users who don't need or understand the option.
    Just remember that each controller would need its own setting if/when multiple controllers are exported (e.g. during batch export). And ideally, the setting would be saved for future exports

I am guessing you might be willing to help test that in some way being as it seems to fit in your setup?
    Absolutely!
    Last edited by pixelpuppy; 01-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123