Thread: Look At My First Display!!!! Thank you everyone and the Renard Team!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Look At My First Display!!!! Thank you everyone and the Renard Team!

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO MAKE RENARD BOARDS!!!! YOU GUYS MADE MY DREAM THIS YEAR COME TRUE!!!!!!!!
    After a month of trying and rushing to make my own cheap version for like $60 I gave up and just got a Renard SS24 and it was the best decision I have ever made in my entire life.

Here is a 1 hour show of my house!

https://youtu.be/1sMiVpQOY_k

Next Christmas (2019) I'm going to add:
    2x DMX Moving Heads
    1x Falcon Pi Hat for a pixel matrix! (What's a good size to make? px x px?) I want it to display basic images like a Christmas tree or snowflake.
    1x FM Transmitter
    1x ROCK SPEAKER (For hidden sound instead of old PC speakers.)

2. Likes Wayne J, Kev7274 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Look At My First Display!!!! Thank you everyone and the Renard Team!

Nice job! Being a TSO fan I like that you have songs from them.

In your "next year" part, my input is that for just simple images, you could get by with a 3x3 P10 matrix, which can easily be run/controlled by 1 BBB w/Octoscroller and 1 5V P/S. For the FM transmitter, there's pretty much 2 avenues: the little cheap (yet surprisingly powerful and clear) PLL Synthesizer ones you can get off eBay for about 8$, or you'll spend over 100$ to get one. (There's an entire thread devoted to which one to look for if you go with the 8$ eBay one.) The rock speaker will work, and will be weather-resistant, but if you've got enough $$$ in your budget you could get something like I picked up this year - an Ion Sport speaker with built-in AM/FM radio.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Look At My First Display!!!! Thank you everyone and the Renard Team!

Nice Job!
    Matt

5. Thanks Spankyty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Nice job! Being a TSO fan I like that you have songs from them.

In your "next year" part, my input is that for just simple images, you could get by with a 3x3 P10 matrix, which can easily be run/controlled by 1 BBB w/Octoscroller and 1 5V P/S. For the FM transmitter, there's pretty much 2 avenues: the little cheap (yet surprisingly powerful and clear) PLL Synthesizer ones you can get off eBay for about 8$, or you'll spend over 100$ to get one. (There's an entire thread devoted to which one to look for if you go with the 8$ eBay one.) The rock speaker will work, and will be weather-resistant, but if you've got enough $$$ in your budget you could get something like I picked up this year - an Ion Sport speaker with built-in AM/FM radio.
    Thank you for the P10 recommendation! I was thinking of those RGB pixels from Ray Wu to make it, but this is a lot better. I will probably get the cheap eBay transmitter since I am in a residential area close to the street. I actually have the rock speaker. I just need to fix the speakers in it hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done! The SS24 is a fantastic, rock-solid platform on which you can build a terrific show. The only suggestion I have is to grow your show gradually. Your head will swim with ideas and you'll get the "maybe's." "Maybe" if I get some of these I could put them over here, and "maybe" I'll build some XYZ thingies and put them over there, and "maybe" I'll put a gazillion lights on the roof and....

Some of my fondest memories from years back was when I had only a few dozen channels to work with, and not having access to thousands of channels made me think more creatively, and think of simpler props that were "foolproof" -- i.e. they just flat worked, looked good and were easy to store. So my advice in growing gradually means that you'll have to resist the urge to go all-out. Let your blinky-flashy taste mature and work on fine-tuning sequences to maximixe their viewing potential and enjoyment. Going "big" isn't always better. But it is always much more expensive and takes a lot more time in every way imaginable.

You've got a great start. And don't toss the experimental gear out the window yet. As your skills grow you may just find it's not that hard to design your own controllers around the Renard platform.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

8. Likes Dkelly0802 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

wow looks good for first show just tossed together while pulling your hair out
    James WinterHaven Fl

10. Thanks Spankyty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome display! Great job. I am so happy the SS24 served you well. I makes me feel really good to hear stories like this. If you need anything please reach out.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

12. Thanks Spankyty thanked for this post
    Likes Barnabybear liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Well done! The SS24 is a fantastic, rock-solid platform on which you can build a terrific show. The only suggestion I have is to grow your show gradually. Your head will swim with ideas and you'll get the "maybe's." "Maybe" if I get some of these I could put them over here, and "maybe" I'll build some XYZ thingies and put them over there, and "maybe" I'll put a gazillion lights on the roof and....

Some of my fondest memories from years back was when I had only a few dozen channels to work with, and not having access to thousands of channels made me think more creatively, and think of simpler props that were "foolproof" -- i.e. they just flat worked, looked good and were easy to store. So my advice in growing gradually means that you'll have to resist the urge to go all-out. Let your blinky-flashy taste mature and work on fine-tuning sequences to maximixe their viewing potential and enjoyment. Going "big" isn't always better. But it is always much more expensive and takes a lot more time in every way imaginable.

You've got a great start. And don't toss the experimental gear out the window yet. As your skills grow you may just find it's not that hard to design your own controllers around the Renard platform.
    I never thought of it that way before! It makes me rethink everything I will definitely keep on trying with the other boards to grow my skills.