Thread: 3 led C9 technicolor pixels from Ray Wu

Post Thanks / Like

Question 3 led C9 technicolor pixels from Ray Wu

I am looking to changed my house outline lights from 2811 12v bullet nodes to c9 or c7 lights. I have been very happy with my bullet nodes from Ray. I have no failures after 4 seasons and would like to use them for a mega tree to add to my display next year. Does anyone have any experience with the following product?
    US $29.00 | 50nodes addressable RGB DC12V WS2811 LED Christmas pixel string;3 LEDs;0.72W;6inches(15cm) wire spacing;all GREEN wire;IP68
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Fx1ylF6

I am stuck between something like that and the technicolor pixels with milky color bulbs. I have always liked the look of the traditional bulb but also like the look of the technicolor from some of the videos and displays I have seen in person.

Any info on reliability, look of light, quality of lens would be appreciated. I have not had problems with node pixels but I have had issues with strips from multiple suppliers. I am concerned with issues of water intrusion and the effects of cold weather and I have recently moved from California to Indiana for work and weather conditions are vastly different in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3 led C9 technicolor pixels from Ray Wu

It’s pretty much Ray’s square node with a different base and C9 faceted cover over it. They’ll look a bit like strawberries, at least that’s how I see them. The light won’t be diffused like with the milky cover, so you won’t be getting that classic C9 look. The rating on them is IP68, so they’re dust-proof and capable of immersion in 1.5m of fresh water for 30 minutes. That’s the pixel itself, not the C9 cover. I’m sure there are some people here who use them in the Midwest. You should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Midwest. I'd venture to say in many ways, this is the roughest climate to do outdoor winter electronics. You may want to add your location to your profile so people can respond to your questions based on your location. I'm in the southwest Chicago suburbs and have been fighting the Midwestern winters all my life. Your biggest enemy is going to be freeze/thaw cycles. it's not so much the rain, or the snow on its own. It's the fact that it'll rain, then freeze, then thaw again. Often many times a week. That will work that water into all the places it shouldn't be. So your most effective countermeasure, is ways for water to get out. Don't try too hard to keep it from coming in completely. You'll fail at that. Just make sure it has a way to drain out so it doesn't pool and freeze.

Be wary of the Chinese vendor's IP ratings. They're always suspect. But within a single vendor, you can generally expect that a higher IP number is better than a lower one. But I wouldn't trust them to the actual standards they represent. And neither the dust or water intrusion number will indicate how well it handles freeze/thaw cycles over time. In general, look for epoxy filled over silicone filled. And "encapsulated" is better than filled. That is the epoxy material completely surrounds the electronics. The alternate is that the PCB is placed into the housing and then epoxy poured over it. Leaving a gap on the back side that will eventually let water in.

I use pixabulbs which are very similar to the ones you posted. They mostly work very well, except for the ones that are near the ground that point upward. Those have a way of wicking water around the lens into the base, and then pooling and freezing there. The ones you posted don't have a solid underside like the pixabulbs do. I'd think that this would work in your favor to let the water pass thru and drain out.

I'm not a fan of the lens shape on these from ray wu. But that's not based on testing, just looks. They're too conical for my preference. but that's just personal preference. I wonder if anyone has tested these particular ones with the mounting strip products from boscoyo.

4. Thanks rtyfz450s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few thoughts:

Ray also offers "Technicolor" bulbs They are close to a true C7 tradition bulb. Available with clear, faceted and milky lenses. I didn't choose them because the only variety (at the time - this may have changed, you may want to check with Ray directly) had a clear polycarbonate base. I didn't like the way the light bled through (which entirely defeated my goal of having a traditional C7 look).

The type you link draw a lot of power. Do the math and determine power injection and power supply needs. That may be a material consideration for you depending on layout and #pixels you will use.

Good luck.

@jchuchla how did your ground-level-vertically-oriented-Pixabulb-weep-hole experiment go this year?

6. Thanks rtyfz450s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    A few thoughts:
    @jchuchla how did your ground-level-vertically-oriented-Pixabulb-weep-hole experiment go this year?
    I think it went well. I only did 18 bulbs that way. I had a section that I had to completely replace with new, so I did the holes in that whole section. I didn't have any bulbs fail in that section. But that being said, it's been a very mild winter. Today is the first snowfall since thanksgiving. I also tipped all of the bulbs on an angle so they're not straight up. So it's hard to say how successful it really is.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info on Midwest issues. I think you are right about the shape it does look pretty conical that’s why I was wondering about the light output. I will probably just go with these US $24.00 | 50nodes DC12V WS2811 LED technicolor pixel with milky C9 cover;waterproof, RGB full color;in WHITE color case and wirehttps://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MzLoerQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtyfz450s View Post
    Thank you for the info on Midwest issues. I think you are right about the shape it does look pretty conical thatís why I was wondering about the light output. I will probably just go with these US $24.00 | 50nodes DC12V WS2811 LED technicolor pixel with milky C9 cover;waterproof, RGB full color;in WHITE color case and wirehttps://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MzLoerQ
    I actually think the cone shaped bulb will diffuse the light better. But I just donít like the shape of the cone.

Iíve heard mixed results with the technicolor bulbs. Early reports were disastrous with total failure early on. Iíve heard they improved the manufacturing process but that bad designs are still out there. Iíve steered clear of them for these reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I havenít used these in my show yet. The end of last winter into beginning of summer I left a strand of ray wuís black colored c-9 technicolor pixels out on my deck railing all facing up running a simple test sequence with just fades up/ down to see how they did.
    The held up fine with no failures. But again they have not been out in a show yet. Never had time to add them in. I also have the c-7 version in white Iím going to test coming soon.

As a side not. I did notice that the little arrows showing date direction were some times pointing in the wrong direction from the previous pixel. But they must be wired correct internally cause they never missed a beat.
    Last edited by Cdanna77; 01-12-2019 at 07:25 PM.