Thread: Question on Config setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Config setup

Hello, I am in the process of building a mega tree as I am still learning the hobby,
    I would like some input if I am setting this up right, I am doing a 24 string tree with 12v pixels/50 nodes per string,
    my controller is a F16v3, I am using xlights.

My math at this is:
    I am using 24 strands of 12v/50 nodes = 1200 nodes, I can use 340 nodes per port ( it would be 2 universes as 1 universe is 170 nodes)
    ( the math is 510 nodes per port /divided by 3 (RGB) = 170 \ each port can have 1024 nodes, 1024 nodes divided by 170 nodes = 6.23
    Round it off to 6, I can put 6 stings on one port)
    In xlights I would use
    #String 6
    Node/string 300
    Strand/string 12
    Can you advise if I am setting this up right, thank you all for the help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question on Config setup

Quote Originally Posted by billru View Post
    Hello, I am in the process of building a mega tree as I am still learning the hobby,
    I would like some input if I am setting this up right, I am doing a 24 string tree with 12v pixels/50 nodes per string,
    my controller is a F16v3, I am using xlights.

My math at this is:
    I am using 24 strands of 12v/50 nodes = 1200 nodes, I can use 340 nodes per port ( it would be 2 universes as 1 universe is 170 nodes)
    ( the math is 510 nodes per port /divided by 3 (RGB) = 170 \ each port can have 1024 nodes, 1024 nodes divided by 170 nodes = 6.23
    Round it off to 6, I can put 6 stings on one port)
    In xlights I would use
    #String 6
    Node/string 300
    Strand/string 12
    Can you advise if I am setting this up right, thank you all for the help
    Do you have plans for the 12 free ports on the F16? If not, I would run 2 strings/port using 12 ports of the F16, you could probably save on having to power inject this way.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have plans, the complete plan is 1 mega tree, roof line, 4 arches, 4 mini pixel trees and 10 snow flakes, at moment I am trying to learn the setup on the mega tree also
    I forgot to mention above that I plan on power injection every second string (every 100 nodes)

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a 24 string x 50 node tree. Here is the wiring diagram I made up. It uses 3 data ports + 1 for the 270 node star (not shown). I used a server supply with a wireless remote pi driving the F16v3. I am probably over powered since it was so bright, I had to turn it down to 20%. The only drawback is not all the strings are interchangeable: some go up, some down, some with power inject.
    In Xlights:
    #Strings: 6
    Nodes per string: 200
    Strands per string: 4
    I do use 512 setting, not the 510
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aknflyer; 01-12-2019 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added xlights setup

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the advise, I am studying what information you offered and still hope I can soak in