Thread: Dense E1.31 Pixel Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dense E1.31 Pixel Controllers

I've been researching pixel controllers recently, specifically those with the densest pixel/channel output. So far I've found that the Falcon F16v3 and the Advatek PixLit16MkII seem to advertise the densest channel capacity for a single controller. With the Falcon showing 32,768 channels @ 40fps and 49,152 channels @ 20fps. The Advatek shows 49,152 - for now I'll just assume it too is at 20fps.

My question for the community is this: Are there any other controllers or control options that have a greater channel output? I have a particular "prop" that will have about 110,592 3 channel pixels so that, by my calculations, would require about 11 F16v3's @ 40fps, or similar controller.

I should add that I'm looking for something with an E1.31 input and at least a WS2811/12/12b output.
    Last edited by najetset; 01-11-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dense E1.31 Pixel Controllers

As far as I am aware those would be the highest output controllers available. Of those two I'd opt for the Falcon controller.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'll find anything more here. You are talking industrial strength stuff. Assuming 12 volt pixels, you are going to need over 600 amps at 120 volts. That's more than three residences worth. You'll have a bigger issue with power supplies and cabling. If you are doing a pixel matrix using matrix panels, you should look at Colorlight or Lynsn cards for control.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjetzer View Post
    As far as I am aware those would be the highest output controllers available. Of those two I'd opt for the Falcon controller.
    Yes I too would lean toward the Falcon, all else being equal I do like the fact that it can act as a remote, offloading a lot from the master. But that said, I do like the idea of the 'expanded mode' of the Advatek, which doubles the output count, but halves the channels/output - which to me seems like it may be able to perform better (read:higher fps) than the Falcon. I'm waiting to hear back from Advatek on their expected frame rates in expanded mode.

5. Likes tbrenton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    I don't think you'll find anything more here. You are talking industrial strength stuff. Assuming 12 volt pixels, you are going to need over 600 amps at 120 volts. That's more than three residences worth. You'll have a bigger issue with power supplies and cabling. If you are doing a pixel matrix using matrix panels, you should look at Colorlight or Lynsn cards for control.
    Power is of no issue for what/where I'm planning the display. I will research your control suggestions though, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You should maybe take a look at Stellascapes. With that sort of industrial-type need, you want appropriate gear. Andrew at Stellascapes has done SeaWorld, among others....

http://www.stellascapes.com/

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

Post Thanks / Like

The most dense/most pixels would be the various BeagleBone based controllers. A BeagleBone can drive 48 strings, 750 PIXELS per string at 40fps. Drop to 20fps and you can double that.

The problem is actually getting the data to the controller. For the most part, with BBB's, we would run them in remote mode with the data stored locally. If they have to be 1.31, you will definitely have issues. It can handle the 210 universes for the 750*48. 420 is more than the ethernet it has can handle. If you grab one of the SanCloud BBE's with the Gigabit ethernet, it may allow more, but I honestly haven't tried it yet.

By shear coincidence, I was working on updating my F32-B design today. It has 32 ports local and another 16 via differential receivers. Haven't decided if I'll actually have any made or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    The most dense/most pixels would be the various BeagleBone based controllers. A BeagleBone can drive 48 strings, 750 PIXELS per string at 40fps. Drop to 20fps and you can double that.

The problem is actually getting the data to the controller. For the most part, with BBB's, we would run them in remote mode with the data stored locally. If they have to be 1.31, you will definitely have issues. It can handle the 210 universes for the 750*48. 420 is more than the ethernet it has can handle. If you grab one of the SanCloud BBE's with the Gigabit ethernet, it may allow more, but I honestly haven't tried it yet.

By shear coincidence, I was working on updating my F32-B design today. It has 32 ports local and another 16 via differential receivers. Haven't decided if I'll actually have any made or not.
    Agreed with the amount of data to pass by E1.31, at least during show time, which is why I was leaning toward the F16v3 as I believe it can act as remote thereby reducing the amount of E1.31 traffic.

Regarding your F32-B, this might be the best of both worlds, near maximum channels per controller and still having remote mode - which the Advateks seem to lack.

Should you do decide to proceed with the F32-B's (or perhaps even a F48-B :P)I would certainly be interested further.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post

Oh and I was going to add, subsequent to my research on various controller options, I've also been looking into DDP in place of E1.31 - seems to have some marked efficiency/performance improvements. So my original requirement of an E1.31 input might change to DDP. But still TBD.

Post Thanks / Like

No idea what you are building but it sounds massive. Please post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk