Thread: Power injection using DIYLEDExpress waterproof 3-3-3 tee connector

Post Thanks / Like

Default Power injection using DIYLEDExpress waterproof 3-3-3 tee connector

I am looking at using DIYLEDExpress tee and premade cables instead of building a harness. I just can not seem to understand how it works, or i am trying to use it wrong.

This is the pinout of the tee: http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com...n_using_an_TEE[/QUOTE]

Example layout - two trees, 50 pixels per tree - 1 string per tree.

Controller pigtail - 5' extension cable - male side of tee - female side of tee - string 1 - string 2 - (issue starts here) this is where i have been putting power injection making my own cables.

It looks to me, if i put a 5' extension cable at the output of string 2 and plug it into the power injection branch of the tee, it looks like it will supply + power to the data line on string 2 then into string 1.

I must be missing something, these seem to be popular to save building harnesses. I have built my harnesses like a Y, with power and ground branching off and plugging into end of string 2 (only using 100 5V pixels per channel). Maybe my practice is wrong all together - please advise.

OR

is the tee intended to go in between string 1 and string 2, with separate power coming from power supply. To me, this looks like string 1 gets power from both ends, and string 2 only gets it from one end.
    Last edited by ben&bobbi; 01-10-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Power injection using DIYLEDExpress waterproof 3-3-3 tee connector

The injection Tee is meant to go in between two strings where you want to apply power injection.

The interesting way that the Tee is wired allows you to inject power in only one direction or in both directions.

Basically, it passes data through from one string to the next untouched.

It also passes the ground through from one string to the next, but also tees the ground off down to the middle leg of the Tee. Look at your diagram to see which pin would be for ground.

Finally, it does not pass positive from one string to the next. Itís simply brings the V+ from one string down to a pin on the middle leg of the Tee and the V+ from the other string down to a different pin on the middle leg of the Tee. Again, look at the diagram to see which is which.

You will connect your power supply to the middle leg of the Injection Tee. You will need to use a pigtail wired in the way that you want. I wanted power to go in both directions, so I connected one wire of the pigtail to the ground and the other two wires of the pigtail to the V+. If for some reason, you only wanted that injection point to send power down one or the other string only, you would simply leave the other wire on the pigtail unconnected.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 - Static Light Show
    2017 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - Added Pixels to Rooflines
    You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Adding Pixel Arches, Snowflakes, and Singing Bulbs in 2019!

3. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that makes sense. Using it the way i was originally thinking would not work.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

somebody beat me to it.

A "T" is usually used between string 1 and string 2.

Sometimes the T is intended to supply the same power the to end of string 1 and the start of string 2.
    Sometimes the T is intended to supply power only to the start of string 2 and terminate (isolate) string 1.
    The T you reference can do either.

A T normally passes data from string 1 to string 2.
    A T normally connects all grounds together.
    The T you reference does this.

Now to your layout, I see 2 ways of doing it.

Method 1. This works for two separate power supplies.
    Power supply -> Controller -> 5ft extension -> string 1 -> black side of T. The top right side of T -> string 2
    Power supply -> extension -> Bottom of T (V+ connected to brown wire (European red) , ground connected to blue wire, green wire not connected)
    This method electrically isolates string 1 and string 2. Note that Data is passed through and everything has a common ground.

Method 2. Only use with a single power supply (unless you like pyrotechnics).
    Power supply -> Controller -> 5ft extension -> string 1 -> black side of T. The top right side of T -> string 2
    Power supply -> extension -> Bottom of T (V+ connected to brown wire (European red) and green wire, ground connected to blue wire.
    This method electrically joins string 1 and string 2 and supplies power to the front and back of string 1. Note that Data is passed through and everything has a common ground.

You can also feed power to both ends your strings but the design is a little different for both method 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Jerry-Rigs; 01-10-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: someone else answered before i did.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt