Thread: Ron's controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ron's controllers

In my quest to reevaluate my small but growing show I started looking at some controllers that I don't getting a lot of mention specifically Ron's controllers.

Those using Ron's controllers are they"okay"?

Is there some reason the Falcons are seemingly used more often?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ron's controllers

I have been using one of Ron's 16 universe controllers for 3 years now and it has been a rock.
    Ron's controllers aren't given much advertising because they aren't as flashy as a Falcon and require a bit of technical knowledge to setup but once setup just work.
    His controllers are multicast and there is no webpage for configuration, you just set a few jumpers to specify start address and then the rest is setup in xlights.
    He has since added daisy chaining to his 4 port and 16 universe controllers which is a great feature to cut down on cabling.
    Ron's controllers are based off an FCPGA and handle pixel data very efficiently, his designs are a stripped down version of most pixel controllers with no fusing etc.
    You just set it and forget it.
    He even has a four output controller (682 pixels per port) for only about $27.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Ron's controllers for at least 4 years. They're solid, incredibly fast and I think they're easier to setup. I currently have 5 of them along with a Falcon F16V2. Ron's 16 Universe controllers can be reconfigured easily to change output types and use differential receivers. You can even do POE with it. His 4 output controller is a cheap, simple plug and play controller. He also has other controllers that I haven't tried, including a matrix controller. On the down side, the 16 universe controller can be a challenge to mount because it has several stacked PCB's and you can add daughter cards that also need to be secured.

I'm not as pleased with the F16V2 and will probably let it go this year. Thankfully, they hold their value well so I should get most of my money back.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the above.

Ron's designs are Open, efficient, innovative and get the job done.

Definitely deserves more acclaim than they have.

https://ronsholidaylights.com/

-Craig

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been talking with Ron, about his controllers as I’m looking to puchase some myself this year for my new show, once the wife sign off on it, must say I’m highly impressed with the reviews and the make up of the boards, plus you can go hands on unlike the falcon controllers and build it yourself. Where else can you get a 16 universe controller for less than $30’s

Post Thanks / Like

I am still very new to the hobby, but I ordered one of his 4 Channel controllers a few weeks ago as a relatively cheap introduction to learning how to setup controllers in Xlights. I just ordered another 4 Channel controller a couple days ago from him to learn about setting up more than one controller. I think at this point I'm planning on having 3 or 4 of them as the backbone of my first display this next season. Mainly, from my research, I think I like the idea of having smaller controllers closer to the display elements rather than a central large controller.

If you're not intimidated by the assembly/soldering, them seem to be a great way to at least explore the hobby.

7. Likes dcamron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The documentation seems short to me but the 16 universe controller appears to need some other daughter boards to work.I can't fully get what it needs.

Post Thanks / Like

It uses an FPGA board which provides the card with a cpu, it’s processing power to do the job at hand, have you read the manual here

https://ronsholidaylights.files.word...anual_reve.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

So, where can I get Ron's 4 channel controllers? The Renard-Plus site is out of stock and I don't see a way to purchase them through the Ronsholidaylights website. They seem like a cheap way to get introduced to pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron moved all of his sales activity to the Renard-Plus site. If they are out, then you have to wait.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..