Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ESPixelStick - grouping, zigzag, effects, and mqtt goodies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick - grouping, zigzag, effects, and mqtt goodies

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    I figured it was supposed to pulse. I ran it 10%, 50% and 100% to see if I was missing subtle changes in the lighting. Could MQTT be used for something like a "launch show" button wired up to a separate ESP module?
    You could code up something like. MQTT in ESPixelStick exposes the device as a light with adjustable color, brightness and effects for usage in things like Home Assistant so it can be controlled via the HA console or automated from sensors and devices, or things like Alexa.
    QCMkWY1.png
    Last edited by sporadic; 01-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    You could code up something like. MQTT in ESPixelStick exposes the device as a light with adjustable color, brightness and effects for usage in things like Home Assistant so it can be controlled via the HA console our automated from sensors, other devices, or things like Alex.
    QCMkWY1.png
    Is Alex the twin brother of Alexa?

Do you have a means to publish MQTT topics from a GPIO event on the espixelstick? I thought it was only subscribing to a topic to receive commands, and publishing its status back. I'm not saying you need such a function. There's already other ESP projects that are designed do just this kind of thing (Espeasy, Tasmota, etc...)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Is Alex the twin brother of Alexa?

Do you have a means to publish MQTT topics from a GPIO event on the espixelstick? I thought it was only subscribing to a topic to receive commands, and publishing its status back. I'm not saying you need such a function. There's already other ESP projects that are designed do just this kind of thing (Espeasy, Tasmota, etc...)
    Oops, fixed that I don't plan to implement mqtt event publishing based on gpio inputs. Was just giving an overview of what mqtt could be used for with other devices like you mentioned.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DreamKiller View Post
    I am working on planning my first show this year and will likely use several ESPixelSticks. After studying up on them for the past few weeks I am left wondering what is the status of the ESP-01(S) issue with the PUYA memory. I ordered some ESP-01S from AliExpress before I fully understood the issue and I am not entirely sure what I will receive. I gather from my reading that a fix has been found and merged into the Arduino Core as of version 2.5.0. But this version looks to still be in beta (beta2). Do the latest Travis developmental builds of ESPixelStick use the 2.5.0-beta2 of the core or the last stable release (2.4.2)? TIA
    The most recent ESP-01 I purchased from AliExpress I got were non-puya, but I have 4 Puya from an earlier Amazon purchase. Hopefully you'll get lucky!

ESPCore 2.5.0-beta2 doesn't have the official Puya fix in it, right now you still have to install the core from latest git master. I suppose it will be in beta3 or whatever the next release is.
    So to use it right now you have to be comfortable:
    -installing esp core from GIT into Arduino IDE, turning on the PUYA #define in the code
    -building ESPPixelStick from source after that (which has its own set of many steps, node.js, gulp to build the web content, etc. Documented but not trivial)

Since the esp core people elected to make the fix a #define in the esp core I don't see that it's going to be very easy for people to deal with in the future. sporadic/others who build binary images will forever have to build separate puya and non-puya binary releases for people that just want to flash binary images without building from scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the breathe effect on my test matrix at 60% brightness and it showed up. It really IS subtle. I’m thinking it uses the maximum brightness as the baseline and then decreases brightness from there, rather than increasing brightness and then reducing it. That’s is probably why it wouldn’t show up on lower brightness settings.

I don’t know if this is my matrix or a characteristic of the WS2811 chip, but when changing brightness, the first or second pixel goes bright (or dim, if you’re decreasing it) for about half a second before the rest of the matrix changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh wow thank you so much for continuing to work on this. I'm going to download and have a tinker!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123