Thread: ESPixelStick: Configuration File Format Error

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPixelStick: Configuration File Format Error

Hi All,

I have made a few ESPixel RevC by Bill Porter running ESPixelStick Firmware 3.0 which seem to work in test mode until I change the config or restart the device. When that happens the blue LED on the ESP8266 flashes/flickers and the console fills up with this error message over and over (bootloop?):

Code:
    load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16 
    tail 8
    chksum 0x2d
    csum 0x2d
    vbb28d4a3
    ~ld
    ⸮
    ESPixelStick v3.0 (Jan  8 2019)
    *** Configuration File Format Error ***

Exception (28):
    epc1=0x4021e524 epc2=0x00000000 epc3=0x00000000 excvaddr=0x00000000 depc=0x00000000

ctx: cont 
    sp: 3ffffd50 end: 3fffffd0 offset: 01a0

>>>stack>>>
    * Hex codes I don't want to post until I know what they contain *
    <<<stack<<<

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)
    I have installed ESPixelStick Firmware 3.0 from the releases page and I have also tried making a build from the commit d629a81 which I have compiled in Arduino 1.8.7 (ESP8266 Community 2.4.2, CPU Freq 160MHz, 1M 128K SPIFFS) and gives basically the same error with what appears to be a memory dump in hex which I don't want to paste here as I have a feeling it will include my Wifi settings.

The setting I am usually changing is changing the number of pixels to 7. If I replace the config by running the "ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload" again the controller will act properly until the power is cycled again.

I have 2 ideas about what could be causing the problem. The first is the I'm from the UK and my computer might be using a character encoding that is making the JSON file bigger than a computer from the US would do. Second, which I feel is more likely, is that the ESP6288 modules I have bough doesn't have enough flash or the flash is bad.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions for other things I could try? Also how can I check/read the hex codes which I assume are memory dumps?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ESPixelStick: Configuration File Format Error

Sounds like the puya memory chip bug. Search on that in this forum. Several long threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi aknflyer

I have read the thread Cheap ESP-01 Modules that don't work for an ESPixelStick and the symptoms described in that thread seem to exactly match what I am experiencing. Thank you for putting me onto this, I will start looking for a better source of these modules

Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Buy your ESP modules at Addicore. I had all kinds of problems with the ones I bought elsewhere, even though they didn't have the Puya chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    Buy your ESP modules at Addicore. I had all kinds of problems with the ones I bought elsewhere, even though they didn't have the Puya chips.
    Thank you for your recommendation, unfortunately the cost of having them delivered to the UK doubles the price, especially if the thieving tax collectors get their grubby mits on them. If I can't find a more local source I may do it though.