Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How you tell if your system is healthy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How you tell if your system is healthy?

Other than going out with a radio and watching sequences run to watch for lag or missed changes, how do you know that your controllers and lights are working correctly?

I have a modest display. I run 2 x E682ís, 2 x E1.131 DMX Bridges, 1 x ESPixelSticks, 3 x LOR in DMX, and about to add 1 x Renard SS24. I use unicast for all wired E1.31 elements and multi-cast for wireless. I plan to expand wireless. I currently use xSchedule on a Windows laptop for display. I use an old Linksys WRT54 wireless router with a generic 10/100 switch or two for the network hardware.

I have not observed any problems but is there any network diagnostic, controller diagnostic, or other reporting mechanism that will tell me if I my system is missing updates?

One reason I ask is that I experimented with a non-waterproof connector solution for 12v pixel power and data and I want some evidence that it worked or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How you tell if your system is healthy?

You want something that would tell you, retroactively, if your connector solution worked properly? Without having invested in some pretty expensive data capturing equipment to record every millisecond of your show for every show day and then employing some sophisticated data analysis software I'd say what you're asking is not possible.

Is it not good enough for you to observe the show and see that everything is working to your satisfaction or are you asking of there's some sort of device that you could use that would predict the future and tell you that your show is going to fail in X number of hours?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    some sort of device that you could use that would predict the future and tell you that your show is going to fail in X number of hours?
    When will this be available in the "future" emporium? I would buy 2 or 3 just in case.
    Making it bright since 1989...

Post Thanks / Like

I hide a radio outside in one of my props so I can always hear the show (low volume) that way when I walk outside to do anything else I can always do a quick quality check on the show. And apparently I constantly stop by our windows and look out at the show too, because my wife started asking me what the heck I am doing always stopping at every window as I walk by.
    Making it bright since 1989...

5. Likes Stormyblade, Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcm View Post
    When will this be available in the "future" emporium? I would buy 2 or 3 just in case.
    The engineers were working on it last year but in one of their tests, it predicted its own future -- that it wouldn't work properly nearly 40% of the time -- so they gave up on the project. They thought a 40% failure rate was about 5% too high.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files.

7. Likes scottmcm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen those decorative mirrored-balls that are often used as garden ornaments? Properly placed in your front lawn, you can use this reflection to see if lights on your house/roof are working.

Post Thanks / Like

For simple diagnostics: web-cam. I have a cloud-connected wifi webcam on he show.. Can't see much detail, but you can tell pretty soon if any major sections are down. I also have a radio inside tuned to the show to see if at least the computer system is working enough to broadcast the audio.

I have been developing a simple circuit to monitor the power (each outlet), and also as missing pulse detector (from some type of heart-beat from the computer). I'm mainly watching for an indication that GFCI has tripped, and the computer is not hung. Both of these be connected to would show me simple red/green lights and/or a buzzer to indicate fa failure.

These are both at a higher level than you ask about, but as already said, anything more extensive/exhaustive will be difficult. And add another sophisticated system to you show that can itself fail...

Jimboha
    Springville, Utah

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a SNMP enabled pixel string? But that would probably cause this website to crash with all the users questions on how to set that up.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few things that can be monitored:

• Pixel strings. Send data for one extra pixel. Attach a pixel stick with custom software to the end of the string that waits for that data and reports if the expected data has not been received within 100ms.
    • Renard Controller chains: Add an extra channel to the controller output and send it a specific value. Attach a pixel stick with custom software to report back if the correct data is not received within 100ms.
    • Add a wide range ZC detector to each AC output. Feed the ZC signal to a WeMos running software to report back if any of the inputs do not have a ZC signal at some point (say 15 minutes).
    • Same sort of thing for the DC outputs.

Have a device that collects all of the data and gives you a health status.

Is it easy? No
    Will you get false failures do to monitoring equipment failure? Yes
    Will it generally give you a health status and reduce your stress? Most likely.
    Is it worth the time and effort as opposed to walking the display every few days? Not for me.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

12. Likes Jerry-Rigs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcm View Post
    I hide a radio outside in one of my props so I can always hear the show (low volume) that way when I walk outside to do anything else I can always do a quick quality check on the show. And apparently I constantly stop by our windows and look out at the show too, because my wife started asking me what the heck I am doing always stopping at every window as I walk by.
    This was my first year of a full display and while I don't have a huge display my family was quick to report when any errors or problems popped up:

"Dad, the star is stuck on all white again."
    "Honey, it looks like your strips are flickering again."
    "Dad, one arch strip is all white."
    "Honey, did you know 2 strips on the big tree aren't working?"

I've *got* more built-in diagnostics than I ever wanted.

Oh, and I wanted to say that I have an outdoor-rated speaker that I put outside on the porch every day that has a built-in FM radio so that people walking by in our neighborhood could hear the show instead of having to be in a car. Comes in handy to simply walk near the front door and listen for the music.

14. Likes scottmcm, Ruppro liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast