Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arch strip recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arch strip recommendations

Just to say thanks for this whole thread - am planning some 12v arches and would have stumbled straight into all kinds of confusion with this one

Post Thanks / Like

You'd have found it eventually. There's a walkthrough video by Matt Johnson on building a HDPE arch in this section somewhere and it gives you the specs on everything you need. To make my arches, I decided on the size of arch and then had Ray make me strips that were about 3 inches short of the arch length. I inserted the pex into PVC tees, drove a screw through the "center" of the tee into the pex, then drilled two holes in two remaining sides of the tee and secured them to the ground with landscape nails. They were solid and didn't need any fancy bases or braces for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, no fancy bases/braces needed. I think you just need to be mindful of two things: how am I going to disassemble for repair (and storage), and how am I going to keep these waterproof.

Post Thanks / Like

When I built my arches I experimented with the two types of strips. I used HDPE tubing in my arches. The single rgb didn't look good. The colors all blended together. The three rgb strips look really good, the color bands are narrow but the individual colors show through without blending together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TSL View Post
    When I built my arches I experimented with the two types of strips. I used HDPE tubing in my arches. The single rgb didn't look good. The colors all blended together. The three rgb strips look really good, the color bands are narrow but the individual colors show through without blending together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you saying that the 1 IC: 1 LED combo didn't look good, but the 3 LED : 1 IC did?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    Are you saying that the 1 IC: 1 LED combo didn't look good, but the 3 LED : 1 IC did?
    Yes. I did not like how the single rgb looked. I felt the three per had a much better look, which is what I went with and I have been very happy with the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The tubing diffused the single rgb color too much for my liking. With the three there are distinct color differences. And the colors are much more vibrant. The single rgb the colors blend together for an almost dirty looking color band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    You'd have found it eventually. There's a walkthrough video by Matt Johnson on building a HDPE arch in this section somewhere and it gives you the specs on everything you need. To make my arches, I decided on the size of arch and then had Ray make me strips that were about 3 inches short of the arch length. I inserted the pex into PVC tees, drove a screw through the "center" of the tee into the pex, then drilled two holes in two remaining sides of the tee and secured them to the ground with landscape nails. They were solid and didn't need any fancy bases or braces for them.
    I like the idea of using the PVC T and landscape nails....do you happen to have a picture of the setup?

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an older thread, but I second that motion, would love some pics of that, or sketch or something

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Are you planning to have the strips sealed (waterproofed) inside some tube?

I used these strips for my icicles (which were sealed in PEX tubing--thus waterproof):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do question if you *really* need individual-addressable pixels for an arch. I've been using the groups-of-3 strips in my arches, and have honestly never noticed:
    Congratulations for the sequence

I see your videos in youtube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast