Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arch strip recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arch strip recommendations

Looking to build my first arches. I understand pixel strings, but I'm confused by the strips. I am looking for strips that have each pixel addressable (not groups of 3). What do in search for? Or does anyone have links to a good strip for this application? I am currently 12v only in my show, but I will do 5v if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arch strip recommendations

Are you planning to have the strips sealed (waterproofed) inside some tube?

I used these strips for my icicles (which were sealed in PEX tubing--thus waterproof):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do question if you *really* need individual-addressable pixels for an arch. I've been using the groups-of-3 strips in my arches, and have honestly never noticed:

3. Likes Dkelly0802 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Are you planning to have the strips sealed (waterproofed) inside some tube?

I used these strips for my icicles (which were sealed in PEX tubing--thus waterproof):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do question if you *really* need individual-addressable pixels for an arch. I've been using the groups-of-3 strips in my arches, and have honestly never noticed:
    Yes, they will be inside PEX.
    After looking at your video, I think you might be right about the groups of 3. Doesnt look it will be an issue like I thought.

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought the ws2811 strips (3 leds) from both DIYledexpress.com and CFOlights.com
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

My research shows that while it is possible to get WS2811 strips that are 1:1 LED:IC chip, most often you get the 'groups of 3' ratio (1 WS2811 IC for every 3 LEDs)...so if you want a 1:1 you should buy the strips that are WS2812b as they have 1 LED (usually it's a SMD 5050) and 1 WS2811 IC combined into one component. And, yes, you can get the strips in 12V, available with waterproofing or simple strip with sticky tape.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally, 5v strips there is one node per pixels, the 12v strips have three nodes per pixels. I built my arches several years ago. If you are going to put the strips in PEX tubing you really don't need the individual node pixels. The diffusion blends them together so that high resolution is not absolutely necessary. But that is up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh65 View Post
    Generally, 5v strips there is one node per pixels, the 12v strips have three nodes per pixels.
    When I was looking 1.5 years ago, this is what I found as well. But, times change.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some 12v with single pixel elements, but they don't seem to be cheap. Just as an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...481a2c9ceyQ24I. I've also found some with only 30 pixels: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...481a2c9cwCk6BJ
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

Ray carries 12v 30/30 strips (30 LEDs/30 ICs controlling them), too. I had him make some 2.3 meter strips with pigtails for me recently. Cost me $12 apiece (shipping separate). Ray calls them "WS2812B addressable pixel strip, waterproof in silicone tube, 30 pcs WS2812B/M with 30 pixels". The WS2812B (or WS2811, for that matter) is the IC that controls the LED, so when you're looking, go by the number of ICs or "pieces" of WS2811/2812. Compare the number of ICs to LEDs, and that will tell you if you're getting 1 IC per 1 LED on the strips.
    Last edited by Kensington; 01-09-2019 at 05:53 PM.

11. Thanks Stormyblade thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    Ray carries 12v 30/30 strips (30 LEDs/30 ICs controlling them), too. I had him make some 2.3 meter strips with pigtails for me recently. Cost me $12 apiece (shipping separate). Ray calls them "WS2812B addressable pixel strip, waterproof in silicone tube, 30 pcs WS2812B/M with 30 pixels". The WS2812B (or WS2811, for that matter) is the IC that controls the LED, so when you're looking, go by the number of ICs or "pieces" of WS2811/2812. Compare the number of ICs to LEDs, and that will tell you if you're getting 1 IC per 1 LED on the strips.
    That is what I want - 12V, not 5V, with a 1:1 IC to LED ratio. Thank you for sharing that info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast