Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: F16V3 to Renard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: F16V3 to Renard

Quote Originally Posted by scootchu View Post
    I made a cable, DMX to Renard, set up my F16 for Renard and I am running a test sequence from the Falcon. I have lights on my Renard Board that are following channels for RGBW. I can't really run a sequence being my display is still running Eagles Green outside. When you flashed your PICS can you remember if you changed your baudrate? I doubt that would be an issue, thinking it would either work or it wouldn't at all if it were different.
    I wouldn't have changed baud rate and mine also tested OK using the RGBW test mode.

Post Thanks / Like

I can run a sequence tomorrow on it. See what happens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I did this this year for the first time and had issues with getting it working. I have 8 Renard SS boxes driving 125 channels and added Pixel effects this year running from F16v3 with latest FW. I also switched from Vixen 2 to Vixen 3 and get a rather late start so a lot of learning curve to handle in a short time but I did alright. So one of the main things I had to have was converting Vixen 2.1 to Vixen 3 and with some trial and error I got that done. Next I thought I could simply connect computer running Vixen 3 to F16v3 and then run a crossover cable from F16v3 DMX port to my first Renard SS. Well I spent some time on that and if you ask me it doesn't work... the timing was WAY OFF. I made a simple one channel sequence with like 2 seconds ON and 2 seconds OFF and then some shorter ON/OFF times and it just was not timing properly to the Renard(s) at all with F16v3 set to 57600. I tried all the ports and all the settings and it was almost a show stopper.

So I wrote a post about it and someone thankfully responded with using the DYILEDExpress Bridge and that saved my bacon because I already had one and when I set it up it worked perfectly. Only thing there is you need to put your Renards on Universe 1-6 but that's the only limitation I saw and wasn't a problem for me. I was not on wireless and if I went Serial from Vixen 3 to Renard the timing was good so I assumed that the problem was not with Vixen 3. Based on all my testing with this I really believe that the F16v3 has real timing issues with driving Renards and it would be great if this can be fixed because while I'm really liking Pixels I'm not giving up my Super Strings and my Mega Wreath with 48 big bulbs needing AC Triac switching.

4. Thanks Keith R thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harpster View Post
    I did this this year for the first time and had issues with getting it working. I have 8 Renard SS boxes driving 125 channels and added Pixel effects this year running from F16v3 with latest FW. I also switched from Vixen 2 to Vixen 3 and get a rather late start so a lot of learning curve to handle in a short time but I did alright. So one of the main things I had to have was converting Vixen 2.1 to Vixen 3 and with some trial and error I got that done. Next I thought I could simply connect computer running Vixen 3 to F16v3 and then run a crossover cable from F16v3 DMX port to my first Renard SS. Well I spent some time on that and if you ask me it doesn't work... the timing was WAY OFF. I made a simple one channel sequence with like 2 seconds ON and 2 seconds OFF and then some shorter ON/OFF times and it just was not timing properly to the Renard(s) at all with F16v3 set to 57600. I tried all the ports and all the settings and it was almost a show stopper.

So I wrote a post about it and someone thankfully responded with using the DYILEDExpress Bridge and that saved my bacon because I already had one and when I set it up it worked perfectly. Only thing there is you need to put your Renards on Universe 1-6 but that's the only limitation I saw and wasn't a problem for me. I was not on wireless and if I went Serial from Vixen 3 to Renard the timing was good so I assumed that the problem was not with Vixen 3. Based on all my testing with this I really believe that the F16v3 has real timing issues with driving Renards and it would be great if this can be fixed because while I'm really liking Pixels I'm not giving up my Super Strings and my Mega Wreath with 48 big bulbs needing AC Triac switching.
    Thanks, I thought it was something I was missing. I've been using the bridge also so I guess I better hold on to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue trying to drive a Renard Tr24 straight off of the falcon board.... I had to go back to the usb dongle for this year. To me it feels like the output from the falcon is actually DMX... the Renard reference is only to the pin out. I wasntt going to risk flashing the tr24 to DMX that close to the season, but I may loop around to try it during the off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue last year. I could get it to blink but the timing was off and the elements were random.
    I ended up running off the usb port on my FPP. Worked great!
    See all our videos at:

http://www.hickoryhollow74.wix.com/hickory-hollow

Vixen 3.5

"Electrical Tape is my Friend"
    Falcon F16V3
    Renard SS24 (8)
    20 Universes
    25,000 + lights

8. Likes TomL8345 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yosemite View Post
    I had the same issue last year. I could get it to blink but the timing was off and the elements were random.
    I ended up running off the usb port on my FPP. Worked great!
    Now that is really clever! I would probably never think to do that but makes sense. Just wondering then, did you set up rewards in Vixen as Serial and sett he port and baud rate there or did you do it on the FPP or both? I only used a FPP at the end of my show to test it for next year but only ran E1.31. But it did work that way... FPP to F16v3 and F16v3 pass thru ethernet power to DYILEDExpress Bridge to Renard SS Box 1. But how does the FPP know to send reward data out it's USB Port? That's a neat trick for getting around needing to use the bridge!

Post Thanks / Like

Serial outputs for Renards are found in the output configuration screen under "other"

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Vixen setup as E131output and put all the renard channels in one universe. I make it the last universe but that's just my preference so I know where it is.
    Then in the output configuration tab select other tab on the PI you can select Renard and tell it how many channel and what universe.
    The only tricky part is you need to put USB in the output and the only way to do it is with a 485 dongle plugged in. You can't select it if its not.
    I ran my incandescent lights off FPP the year before with the dongle so I tried it when the DMX output wouldn't work off the F16v3.
    See all our videos at:

http://www.hickoryhollow74.wix.com/hickory-hollow

Vixen 3.5

"Electrical Tape is my Friend"
    Falcon F16V3
    Renard SS24 (8)
    20 Universes
    25,000 + lights

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can confirm that Renard works off the F16V3 off serial port 2 because I wanted to consolidate my show down to F16V's and remove my E131 bridge. HOWEVER as I have read here and now have confirmed, the timing is off from the e131 output of the Falcon and the Serial output. Kinda sucks but I guess the bridge stays till further updates are made...
    2017 - Hmmmm...lots has changed...
    Facebook: [URL="https://www.facebook.com/Stevensfamilylightshow/"]Stevensfamilylightshow[/URL]
    Youtube: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCodTAksQo4tgLAyabUe1-dg"]Stevens Family Light Show[/URL]
    Web: [URL="http://www.stevenslightshow.com"]http://www.stevenslightshow.com[/URL] (under construction)
    [img]http://sig.falconchristmas.com/18222[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast