View Poll Results: What power supply to get?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mean Well $50

9 37.50%
  • Generic $15

15 62.50%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mean Well vs Generic Power Supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mean Well vs Generic Power Supply

Generics work fine for me, in ammo cases , and our weather goes from 10 below to 50+ during the season and I have never had an issue
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on this !

Best of both worlds. Great compromise in quality vs price.
    Quote Originally Posted by K-State Fan View Post
    Meanwell but not at $50 https://holiday.lighting/psorderform

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    For me, it's a pain to go out in the freezing cold and try to change a power supply with numb fingers. I might concede this point if we had milder weather.
    I fully understand, but if you use/buy known quality generic, like those from Diyledexpress, you be happy with loadability and life of unit....but save a lot of bucks. Just stay away from the knock-offs.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't recommend either one. The MW you linked is overpriced and I've had damage from cheap power supplies that far exceed what I paid for them. Yes you can buy something cheap with poor quality capacitors, counterfeit parts, lack of over voltage protection and so on, but eventually that $15 power supply with cost you a lot more when it fries a few hundred pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had issues with different power supplies. Albeit, more with generics. I know folks have some supplies for 5-10 years without issue and the other is true where some folks can barely get 1-2 years from a generic.

I am the kind that likes to spend money once - so if it means a bit more for some peace of mind? Okay, drop an extra few bucks.

Other thing to consider is the constant load. Constantly running any power supply at maximum output usually results in premature failure. Most of these units can safely put out 70-80% of their full rating without degradation.

I plan my power supplies around the 60-75% of full output.

The other side is all my power supplies are bridged together. My 5v supply has 3 nodes. Beginning, middle and end. They are tied together with blocking diodes and fused outputs so if one does happen to fail, the rest will pick up the slack. Example: Three 100A units = 300A available and using 50% at peak, the math holds up Two will carry the third if it dies and with blocking diodes, no problems.

Lots of math and ways to achieve stable power sources. Generic vs name brand? I have had some good generics and had some die within a week. I do use Meanwell and Cosell.

I have some generics - and run them 24/7 365 They barely see 20% load.

Having a background in power supplies helps if/when a unit decides to "Bite The Dust"

Last thought?

Look for the "UL" or CSA certification. Most times, that is the thing which separates quality.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

The concept of blocking diodes is fairly obvious (to prevent back-feeding a dead supply) but how are you essentially tying the output of multiple supplies together without them battling to "own" the output voltage?

Post Thanks / Like

Meanwell is not the only maker of quality transformers, nor is Maserati the only maker of quality cars. Too often many get hung up on brand names. Just find a quality vendor and avoid the knock-offs from Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, and alike.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced all my cheap Chinese knock-offs from Holiday back in 2015 after two failures in the first week... 100% Meanwell here and have had ZERO failures or issues with about 40 power supplies. You get what you pay for!

Post Thanks / Like

Takes quite a bit of research to separate the wheat from the chaff. UL CSA and CE are often faked. Take the UL/CSA number and look it up to see if it really is current and it belongs to the stated manufacturer. Medical rated stuff is a good indicator of meeting standards. I happen to use many Lambda supplies, the Meanwells appears to be quite comparable at a much more reasonable cost.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bunch of 12v 400w generics this year for a total of $100. What a deal! But when they showed up, they were 170-220v, even though the description said they were 110-220v input (checked it three times before ordering). So Iím a little wary of generics right now.

And after seeing uncledanís behind the scenes video, Iím seriously considering a subpanel and a couple 2000w Meanwells.
    Last edited by Kensington; 01-09-2019 at 10:16 PM.

11. Likes uncledan liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast