View Poll Results: What power supply to get?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mean Well $50

9 37.50%
  • Generic $15

15 62.50%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mean Well vs Generic Power Supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mean Well vs Generic Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    I bought a bunch of 12v 400w generics this year for a total of $100. What a deal! But when they showed up, they were 170-220v, even though the description said they were 110-220v input (checked it three times before ordering). So I’m a little wary of generics right now.

And after seeing uncledan’s behind the scenes video, I’m seriously considering a subpanel and a couple 2000w Meanwells.
    That sounds like a very convenient OOPS by the seller- but I'm a bit jaded.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mean Well vs Generic Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by ags0000 View Post
    The concept of blocking diodes is fairly obvious (to prevent back-feeding a dead supply) but how are you essentially tying the output of multiple supplies together without them battling to "own" the output voltage?
    The diode blocks the power supply from SEEING the buss. It is in its own happy little world, isolated. So there will never be any contention to own the buss.

It is a rather liberal approach. Each power supply has its own characteristics as does a diode. I individually power and adjust each unit for output on the buss. This match keeps them close. In my case, the heatsink is the V+ where the diodes reside. I could take it a bit further and use the remote sense feedback my PS has but for this, that is overkill.

The idea is to match power supplies. It is not a good idea to combine say a 60A with a 30A because the 30A will hit 100% before the 60A. The 60A will pick up the slack but leaves the 30A at full load. There are scenarios where this is okay and actual circuits designed to balance mismatched power supplies. Way beyond our needs.

If one PS is pushing a little bit more than the others, I do not worry about that because I do not push them to 100% output. I am generous with power so this helps my power distribution requirements. For my buss to work all the time, I plan for 1/3 more power than I would need so if one takes a dump, the other nodes pickup the slack.

The other thing I have noted, at least in my displays, I have tried to draw the amount of current I computed - nope, always fall sort of the "Calculated Load". I give that to the inherent V drop in cabling, etc.

These are the diodes I use. VISHAY Power Diode 70HF10 70 AMP 100V - mounted on a heatsink. So far, no complaints and no failures
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123