Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Understanding Renard??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Understanding Renard??

I am not big on computer stuff programming and even understanding page after page after page of information from people who already know. So to start from beginning to see if I understand does the renard boards(ss24 I am looking at) hook directly into the computer and controlled by Vixen to send 5vdc on 24 channels? If I need 120vac switching at this point does each 5vdc output control each 8 channel ssr 120vac with 5vdc control? like the picture?

ss24.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Understanding Renard??

The ss24 has relays built in, so you connect it straight to the lights. So you don't need the ssr8 in your picture. You can Daisy chain to another Renard board using the rj45 connector, which then would give you additional channels.. You are correct on connecting the computer to the ss24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neonexpresso View Post
    The ss24 has relays built in, so you connect it straight to the lights. So you don't need the ssr8 in your picture. You can Daisy chain to another Renard board using the rj45 connector, which then would give you additional channels.. You are correct on connecting the computer to the ss24.
    If I want to just control 120v lights ATM to start my process you say I don't need the 8 channel, so the renard will turn on 120v as well

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Renard board only outputs 120v, so you can plug any standard lights directly in to it's outputs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rstehle View Post
    Yes, the Renard board only outputs 120v, so you can plug any standard lights directly in to it's outputs.
    I just saw that as I am trying to find where to buy that the newer 24 plus is 110v capable. Boy I didn't plan on having to actually build one lol. So another question as you seem very knowledgeable...I am thinking for roof line instead of buying regular 110v lights go a head now a few bucks more and get pixels so can I control those with the ssr24? I am understanding I may need a dmx? Do you know anything about DMX?

Post Thanks / Like

The Renard SS24 only controls AC lights. To control pixels (DC - 5, 12, 24 volt), you will need another type of controller (Falcon, San Devices, ESP pixel, PX-1, Raspberry Pi w/ hat). You should probably do some reading, the WIKI here , or go to AussieChristmasLighting here, sign up, and download their manual for lights. There is a wealth of information that can help give you a good background and get you started.
    Last edited by Keith R; 01-06-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally, Renard controllers controlled lights through external SSR's. That means you had a controller, and the SSR board, and some cat5 in between. The advantage of this arrangement is the controller doesn't care at all about the voltage of the lights. One SSR can switch on and off 120V lights, another SSR can control 12V DC lights, or dumb RGB strips, or drive a servo motor with the appropriate SSR for that.

The SS series, SS8/SS16/SS24 have 120V AC SSR's built in. That means you can only control 120V lights, but the advantage here is the controller board and the SSR's are on the same board, can be put into the same enclosure, and reduce the amount of wires you scatter about your lawn.

Pixels are another animal altogether and Pixel controllers provide 5V or 12V to power the pixels, as well as serial data to tell them what to do. The Renard system cannot drive them directly, however the Renard PX1 changed that several years ago. It took Renard serial data, and converted it to Pixel data so you could very easily integrate pixels with your regular lights.

You can combine technology into your show as well. I have five Renard SS24's for controlling 120V AC lights, several ESPPixel sticks for controlling Pixels, and I'm in the process of choosing a high density Pixel controller for next year.

Nothing says all your lights have to be of the same technology. use what works best for your vision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Keith R View Post
    The Renard SS24 only controls AC lights. To control pixels (DC - 5, 12, 24 volt), you will need another type of controller (Falcon, San Devices, ESP pixel, PX-1, Raspberry Pi w/ hat). You should probably do some reading, the WIKI here , or go to AussieChristmasLighting here, sign up, and download their manual for lights. There is a wealth of information that can help give you a good background and get you started.
    This is not true. There are versions of the Renard boards that control DC and some that control AC and DC at the same time.

To the OP: Before you worry too much about which controller you are going to use, figure out what you want to control. People regularly sell Renard controllers as their show changes. I use a Ren64xc to control both AC and DC lights. The SS24 is set up for 24 channels of AC dimming. There are other SS versions that do DC dimming. And the number of pixel controllers is climbing quickly. You will find this information in the getting started section of the Wiki.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    This is not true. There are versions of the Renard boards that control DC and some that control AC and DC at the same time.

To the OP: Before you worry too much about which controller you are going to use, figure out what you want to control. People regularly sell Renard controllers as their show changes. I use a Ren64xc to control both AC and DC lights. The SS24 is set up for 24 channels of AC dimming. There are other SS versions that do DC dimming. And the number of pixel controllers is climbing quickly. You will find this information in the getting started section of the Wiki.
    I definitely get what you are saying I am in no real rush to get controller as I am still setting up vixen and learning all its functions but I do know I will be controlling quite a bit of standard 110v incan or led to start but I have also decided instead buying lights for eaves/roofline I will be spending a bit extra and get the pixels so that will be a different controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frederic View Post
    Originally, Renard controllers controlled lights through external SSR's. That means you had a controller, and the SSR board, and some cat5 in between. The advantage of this arrangement is the controller doesn't care at all about the voltage of the lights. One SSR can switch on and off 120V lights, another SSR can control 12V DC lights, or dumb RGB strips, or drive a servo motor with the appropriate SSR for that.

The SS series, SS8/SS16/SS24 have 120V AC SSR's built in. That means you can only control 120V lights, but the advantage here is the controller board and the SSR's are on the same board, can be put into the same enclosure, and reduce the amount of wires you scatter about your lawn.

Pixels are another animal altogether and Pixel controllers provide 5V or 12V to power the pixels, as well as serial data to tell them what to do. The Renard system cannot drive them directly, however the Renard PX1 changed that several years ago. It took Renard serial data, and converted it to Pixel data so you could very easily integrate pixels with your regular lights.

You can combine technology into your show as well. I have five Renard SS24's for controlling 120V AC lights, several ESPPixel sticks for controlling Pixels, and I'm in the process of choosing a high density Pixel controller for next year.

Nothing says all your lights have to be of the same technology. use what works best for your vision.
    oh it will be different tech for sure as I will be wanting to replace 110v with pixels eventually and running mega trees and the sorts. I am interested in the Renard for the facts you mentioned as an all in one and to boot plugs directly to Vixen and I don't have to try and figure aurdrino programming. With pixels I am looking at DMX has 512 controls from what I see so alot in one box as well

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast