Thread: Waterproof connectors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Waterproof connectors

I am looking at dumping the standard 13.5mm pigtail that Ray sells in favour of something a bit easier to use in colder weather (he uses a harder plastic now and it is a real PITA when it gets cold, even when using dielectric grease).
    I see that Ray now carries the Xconnect type of connector. Has anyone used these and how do they compare?
    I am trying to evaluate several types including spade, Delphi etc but the Xconnect seems like a viable alternative as well...
    Any input is welcome.
    Thanks.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Waterproof connectors

I have been very happy with the performance of the Delphi clone type connectors. They seal well and are easy to connect and disconnect even in cold weather. Installing them myself (crimping and soldering each) eliminates the splice between prefabbed ones and the pixel string. They are also inexpensive compare to almost any other connector.
    Ed
    Happily retired

3. Thanks DrNeutron thanked for this post
    Likes DrNeutron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this what is being called xconnect?
    ex3c10k3-2_s.jpg
    If it is, I don't think it addresses the concern of hard and inflexible. It is basically the same old thing with a different keying mechanism.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrNeutron View Post
    I am looking at dumping the standard 13.5mm pigtail that Ray sells in favour of something a bit easier to use in colder weather (he uses a harder plastic now and it is a real PITA when it gets cold, even when using dielectric grease).
    I see that Ray now carries the Xconnect type of connector. Has anyone used these and how do they compare?
    I am trying to evaluate several types including spade, Delphi etc but the Xconnect seems like a viable alternative as well...
    Any input is welcome.
    Thanks.
    No issues with my 13.5's. I did apply dielectric grease to the pins , sockets, as well as the barrel, and the slip cowl threads.
    I plan on converting my remaining 3pin JST connections this year, brittle in cold climates and any melting causes the space under the release tab to lock up in ice
    Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry-Rigs View Post
    Is this what is being called xconnect?
    ex3c10k3-2_s.jpg
    If it is, I don't think it addresses the concern of hard and inflexible. It is basically the same old thing with a different keying mechanism.
    Exactly what I was thinking.....this is why I asked how these are working for everyone that uses them...are they any kind of improvement?
    They are more expensive than the old standard 13.5mm as well.
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurbo99 View Post
    No issues with my 13.5's. I did apply dielectric grease to the pins , sockets, as well as the barrel, and the slip cowl threads.
    I plan on converting my remaining 3pin JST connections this year, brittle in cold climates and any melting causes the space under the release tab to lock up in ice
    Yep I apply dielectric grease as well to every connector (Or I would never get them apart...LOL).
    Had some difficulty while 20' in the air trying to lean over and connect a few and thought....there has to be a better way!
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers!
    Steve

Learn 1 new thing everyday.

"AURBO" -- Aurora Borealis

My weather today

Chat link | Christmas Wiki link