Thread: Renard W/ESP control timing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Renard W/ESP control timing

I ran 4 Renard with ESP-01’s this year and 5-6 Dirknerkle SSR adapter’s. All of them were flashed with 57600 baud rate. At times I had a slight delay between the lights and the music. It was all ran multicast using a Ubiquiti Nanostation AP. Could this be because of the slower baud rate? Should I increase the baud rate? I also had 4 ESPixelPop’s running pixels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Renard W/ESP control timing

The 57600 baud rate is not the problem. The lag problem is *ALWAYS* a network issue of some kind. It could be somebody hooking up to the network with his phone, for example, to take a look at something.... or connecting to one of the display pieces.... There are also some settings in the Nanostation that you can make via the CLI to help speed its multicast throughput, and the location of the AP relative to the remote receiving ESP's as well as the orientations of the antennae to each other that can enhance or detract from performance.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. That is why I was asking. Since this was my first year with wireless. Distance is at most 50-60’. The relationship is below and at most about 45 deg. The nanostation is at the ceiling line of my front porch and the ESP’s are mostly on the ground. Only one is above on the top of the basketball goal pole that forms my 180 deg. Mega tree. It is one of your WiFi adapters controlling the Bethlehem star on top of it. The delay was most noticeable with the arches connected to TR-24’s and mini trees on an SS-24. Below is a pic of the setup from last year.

What are the settings I should change on the Nanostation?

IMG_6957.JPG

Last edited by davdue; 01-06-2019 at 03:01 AM.
    Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davdue View Post

What are the settings I should change on the Nanostation?
    You can start here:

https://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthr...ation-Settings

Also remember that antennae and especially those that transmit work best when they are away from any surfaces that can reflect or partially reflect the radio waves. Wireless is exactly like real estate where the most important thing is location, location, location. And if you mount the transmitting antenna inside and behind a bunch of lights, you're just asking for trouble because the wires in the light strings create electromagnetic radiation patterns of their own, which could certainly affect a wireless access point. For example, wrapping your access point with a string or two of lights is not going to help one bit.

The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

5. Likes Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    For example, wrapping your access point with a string or two of lights is not going to help one bit.
    But it makes it look pretty

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Finally remembered to take a picture when it wasn’t dark of my AP location. You can see some lights near it and below it. They are all incandescents. Could this be the problem? The ones on the railing below will be pixels next year.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine a transparent overhead view of your layout. Draw a line from the Nanostation to each controller in the field. Is anything in the way? Do you have to go through brick, or wood, or metal, or a roof, or bush or tree to get from the Nanostation to any controllers? That will tell you a lot.

Hint: You can use Google Earth to get an overhead shot of your house. Print that out and use it to make your drawing.

Post Thanks / Like

Every one of the controllers has a clear line of sight except for the Ren48LSD that is on the other side of the driveway. Cars will be in between that one. I guess on second thought there are possibly some props, (tomato cage mini trees, plywood cutouts) that could be between the Nano and two SS24’s controlling four 8 channel arches.

Not much I can do about those things.

Dave-1200Px-20KLts