Thread: Fried, Refried, then Fried Again Pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fried, Refried, then Fried Again Pixels

Hope everyone’s Christmas was better than ever and your family is safe and healthy.

This year I built a matrix with 8,789 12V, 12mm pixels by combining both configurations in Boscoyo’s awesome matrix panel (https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....roducts_id=122) Then I put together a custom model in Excel that took the offset rows and columns into account and imported it into X-Lights. (I’ll be happy to share the setup if anyone else wants it). It worked perfectly and was stunningly beautiful!! Almost 9,000 12mm pixels literally at half an inch on center packed and programmed into a four foot by eight foot panel.

, it got plugged directly into a 110V outlet (I think) without power supplies and fried an unknown number of pixels, possibly including some of everyone else in Texas’ display.

Sorry.

Several pixels died and several did not. Except for the ones that are obviously burned out, I can't see any difference between good or bad ones even with an electron microscope taped to my strongest magnifying glass. Sometimes if I take out the last working and the first non-working pixel in a string of 100 everything is fine, but most often I have to amputate one…..pixel…..at…..a…..time and test it until I find the next good one. It would be impossible to test thousands of them individually, so I'm looking for advice regarding how to tell if a pixel is bad. My brain is as fried as our matrix and my family cannot afford to just toss that many pixels and start over so I’m praying there's some tool or visible blemish I can look for that I haven't recognized yet.

Thanks for any suggestions and Happy New Year to all!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fried, Refried, then Fried Again Pixels

An AC line produces 154V p-p. You effectively applied 150V to a 5V device. Then the AC line switched polarity on you and you applied a -154V to a device that cannot tolerate more than -1v. I suspect the survival rate is pretty low.

In all of your cutting, what is the good/bad ratio you are seeing? That will most likely be the ratio for the rest of the pixels on that grid. FYI: I applied 12V to a 5V string once. I had a >90% failure rate.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samstone View Post
    Hope everyone’s Christmas was better than ever and your family is safe and healthy.

This year I built a matrix with 8,789 12V, 12mm pixels by combining both configurations in Boscoyo’s awesome matrix panel (https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....roducts_id=122) Then I put together a custom model in Excel that took the offset rows and columns into account and imported it into X-Lights. (I’ll be happy to share the setup if anyone else wants it). It worked perfectly and was stunningly beautiful!! Almost 9,000 12mm pixels literally at half an inch on center packed and programmed into a four foot by eight foot panel.

, it got plugged directly into a 110V outlet (I think) without power supplies and fried an unknown number of pixels, possibly including some of everyone else in Texas’ display.

Sorry.

Several pixels died and several did not. Except for the ones that are obviously burned out, I can't see any difference between good or bad ones even with an electron microscope taped to my strongest magnifying glass. Sometimes if I take out the last working and the first non-working pixel in a string of 100 everything is fine, but most often I have to amputate one…..pixel…..at…..a…..time and test it until I find the next good one. It would be impossible to test thousands of them individually, so I'm looking for advice regarding how to tell if a pixel is bad. My brain is as fried as our matrix and my family cannot afford to just toss that many pixels and start over so I’m praying there's some tool or visible blemish I can look for that I haven't recognized yet.

Thanks for any suggestions and Happy New Year to all!!!!
    If this matrix was working perfectly at one point , that would infer that 12v power supplies were used correct ?
    How would it be possible to apply 110v directly to nearly 9k pixels ?
    Getting the 12v polarity reversed is conceivable but 110v to all your pixels is unimaginable .
    I certainly hope the former is the cause in your case .

Post Thanks / Like

Given that power would have to be supplied at numerous points in the matrix, as well as a data line, the damage should be isolated to the number of strings that had incorrect voltage applied. I lost 1 string this year due to mixing the polarity. Fortunately the string was only 25 pixels long and I had a replacement. Try each string individually and you'll reduce the number of strings that need individual attention.

Post Thanks / Like

What I thought was clever, I cut 6 foot extension cords in half for injection pigtails. I used the female end on the power supply, 400W, and the male from the pixel strand. I never injected at the string's own pigtail because I thought it would be easier for me to keep the data line uncut from beginning to end. I am on disability for major depression disorder and they recently determined it was likely caused by a stroke. This has affected many different aspects of my cognitive ability to process information, and is so frustrating I wouldn't be here without my faith in God. I was trying to keep it all as simple as possible and in a manner my mind could process. Every pixel worked wonderfully until several were plugged directly into a 110 outlet power strip. I'm not the one who did it, but I am the one who didn't tell my innocent helper not to do it and I am also guilty of not checking it before turning the strip on.

I am deeply humbled by the Christmas light community's willingness to offer so much of their time and patience with me when I get cranky. I don't deserve either, but am immensely grateful.

Hope that explains how it happened, and there is still some way to do this given my embarrassing learning disorder.

Thank you for helping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, dcamron. I was advised by people much smarter than myself that the safest, most effective method is to inject at least every 100 pixels. This was easy as I could go straight down the center of the matrix and the harness I made was neat and organized. Earlier in 2018 my doctors told me I've had a damaging stroke which finally explained why sometimes I can absorb the hardest concept, but quite often I can't remember why I went into a room. That put me on disability and I can work with the lights all day 24/7/365 if I want to and the challenging learning curve has literally been a life saver because it keeps my mind deeply engaged and active. I can genuinely thank the forum community for being a large part of helping me survive this long.

My strings are 100 pixels each and I used a bunch of power supplies. With my disability I check and recheck everything I do, and I am quite slow and have to do things in a manner that makes sense only to myself. I cut short extension cords in half so I could use the different ends as pigtails. As careful as I try to be, I failed to notice my helper had plugged several strings directly into the power strip bypassing the power units (as a safeguard I usually Unplug everything after testing so, in my mind, I can avoid mistakes no one else would have to worry about.

I have no idea if this has made any sense as today I am a terrible time processing things. As humiliating as it is to admit, this kind of day reduces me to hope and pray my meds will give me at least a few hours of clarity sometime during the day.

Thank you very much for your time and advice. I'll try everything until something works.