Thread: Which profile is better?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which profile is better?

I built a 37-Foot mega tree in 2008 (the only year I displayed) that was 360 degree. Now that Iím considering getting back into this, Iím hearing that 360 degree mega trees donít make sense. SO whatís re the majority of people using - 180, 270 or 360 degree trees?

JD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which profile is better?

In my opinion, it is best determined by the angle that folks will be viewing the tree from. First year for my 30' MT. My tree sits back from the highway about 200' so anymore than 180 degree tree was going to be a waste of lights. If I had a corner lot (say a side street and a highway) I would consider something more than 180 degrees.

3. Likes TazChaLet, TomL8345 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Viewing angle, content you plan to use, and method that you plan on mounting the pixels are all variables that should be considered.

Viewing angle is pretty much self-explanatory. Where can people see your tree from? A 180 tree may not be enough if they can see both sides as they move through your area. In our case, sitting 30 feet from the road, a 270 degree tree seems to be the best.

Your mounting method plays a part in the fact that some mounting methods can see "through" the tree and the pixels from the back can be seen from the front (or side to side). We have a 30 foot mega tree sitting on a peninsula in the middle of our park's lake. People can see it from all 360 degrees. We zip tied the pixels to 1/16" cables. Though we only have 16 strings (this year), it looks impressive from all angles because all 16 strings can be seen from all angles.

With our shorter trees (12 to 22 feet tall), we used Boscoyo Strips. Most of them are the black variety. With these, we cannot see (well) anything but the lights on the face of the strip. Nothing, or very little, is seen by strips on the "back side", therefore we do not populate the back 90 degrees.

Content comes into play when you can see through the trees. Images, text, etc., sometimes becomes un-readable/un-see-able because the images/text on the backside interferes with what is being presented on the front sides. Patterns sometimes actually benefit from being able to see the back strings, but not as often as you may think.

All in all, it is a matter of personal taste.

Good luck.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

My old AC light tree was 360 because you could see through it. When I switched and converted it to rgb I went with a 270 tree. The placement of the tree in my yard using the Boysco strips didn't warrant a 360 tree since you couldn't see the backside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you only have a 180 degree viewing angle, not more than 200 or 210 degree at most. I think avoiding lights behind the viewing area eliminates seeing unwanted lights behind the viewing area.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

My tree is 360 even though viewing is more like 270. The other 90 allows me to look at it from my house and see that it's working. My set-up doesn't allow you to see light from the pixels on the opposite side.
    Ed
    Happily retired

8. Likes Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a 180 tree for quite a few years. Last year I doubled the lights and for some reason 180 doesn't look good anymore. The tree is taller and more narrow now. Mine sits about 15 feet from the street and you can see behind it when you approach the house. You can also see behind it from either end of the block (I'm in the middle). I think it has a lot to do with the proximity of the tree to the viewer. I'm going to 270 so when you look at it from the side then you'll see 180 degrees of lights. Consider the viewing angles.

Post Thanks / Like

I do 240 degree trees. Makes sense for me. I have two toppers, one with 24 holes (16 strings) and one with 48 holes (32 strings). The 240 degrees gives me a slight curve for a better viewing angle from the side, but doesn't leave the strings spaced out too far apart.
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with a 360-degree tree, mostly because my house sits on a corner lot. I could probably get away with a 270-degree and may make do a test display to see if it would look better. Also, my yard is right next to the street, so I went with 2" spacing and my mega tree is < 10 ft tall total.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyblade View Post
    I went with a 360-degree tree, mostly because my house sits on a corner lot. I could probably get away with a 270-degree and may make do a test display to see if it would look better. Also, my yard is right next to the street, so I went with 2" spacing and my mega tree is < 10 ft tall total.
    Under these conditions, I agree with your choices. Have fun.
    Live, Laugh, Love.