Thread: 2019 Vixen 3.x expected channel limitation

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2019 Vixen 3.x expected channel limitation

Gents, thanks so much for all your hard work - I had a great 2018 show, built using Vixen.

I know this query comes up a bit, and my apologies if you've already answered it, but I'm keen to understand the current and proposed channel limitations in vixen. I know it's not a hard limitation, but a practical usage/performance limitation.

I use fpp to run the show, so that side of things isn't of concern.

I'm currently at around 80k channels, but am considering some p5s this year, so potentially I'll be around the 200k mark.

I have a decent enough pc, but is the software going to become too slow with this size show?

Thanks again,

Nick.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2019 Vixen 3.x expected channel limitation

Oops - probably heading for 300k+ channels.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We are just beginning to examine some ideas for dedicated devices like that right now. We are in the early stages, so it is hard to give any projections at this time. If you are 300K+ as it stands now you would have to get creative with breaking out those panels into some dedicated profiles to work with. It depends on how you are incorporating them and what you plan on doing with them. I would be interested in gathering some of your design ideas to help understand how you plan to use them. Are they mainly for playing video content? What other uses do you plan for them? How are you planning on driving them?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff.

For 2018 I had a small P10 array - 30k channels - I drove them via fpp into a ColorLight card and would probably look to do the same given how well it works.

I used the panel as the central element in the display - so all sequencing was done in Vixen - some videos, but also used in effects (pin wheel centre/snowflakes look incredible for example). I haven't done much planning for 2019, but would definitely like to have a large p5 panel at the heart of my display.

Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, I hope you don't mind if I ask some "why" questions. It's going to help us as we're working on some enhancements.

The colorlight/linsn/novastar cards are designed to be driven by a sending card, which in turn is driven with a DVI/HDMI signal from a video source. The colorlight/linsn cards also have a mode where they can be run directly from a PC running their software in a screen capture mode. In both cases, the source material is a video signal, not lighting data. Why do you prefer to drive it with lighting data as opposed to a video signal?

Is it because that's how so many DIY people are already doing it?
    Is it because it partially leverages DIY hardware?
    Is it because you like the effects generating capabilities of the light sequencing software?
    Is it because you like doing lights and video all from the same software/timeline?
    Is it because you don't know there's another way?
    Is it something else?

Post Thanks / Like

More than happy to answer any questions you have - I take more than my fair share from the vixen crew!

I don't mind how it is driven - my aim though is to use the effect generating capabilities - for instance - pinwheel effects, shockwave etc look really awesome being centered on a p10 panel - but the effect also runs across an entire "regular" display - roofline pixels etc etc.

Even a simple message board (tune to/show count down etc) - put some snowflakes on that, a nice border, scrolling text... it is awesome.

If it is easier for such effects to be converted to a video format first, then so be it.

I'm using the colorlight/fpp combo as it is incredibly cost effective and very easy to set up after you've done it once (ok, maybe over simplifying - my linsn experience was very very poor) - I don't know what the fpp limit is, but I can guess it easily exceeds 300k channels - and it's easy to add another pi to the show network if needed.

Yip, I'd definitely prefer one tool to handle the entire sequence (lights and video).

I haven't explored other methods - for 2018 it worked really well, hence my interest in expanding the use of p10/p5s.

I've never run my show from vixen - i went straight to the fpp option as the dedicated show machine made more sense to me than trying to use my PC, so I know nothing about using vixen in this way.