Thread: Mega-mega pixel trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mega-mega pixel trees

I've run a 50x64 MegaTree for the last few years, and always built it out of 5v pixels stuck inside Boscoyo strips with 3" spacing. I never had to worry about power injection before - just connected each of the 64 strands into the 64 different ports of 4x E682 controllers with 5x 60A 5v power supplies hosted in 4x CG1500 boxes. Pretty simple.

However, for next year we want to go bigger and denser... We want to change pixels to 1" spacing, and also make the tree taller. So planning to go up from 50 pixels per string to 250 pixels per string.

So questions I have to the "big tree" builders out there:

a) I'm planning to use the Boscoyo rolls this time around:
    https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....roducts_id=154

Are the boscoyo strips up for the challenge of carrying 250 pixels (21') at 1" density without stretching and sagging?

b) How do I power this guy? The tree will have 16000 pixels (250 x 64). I've come up so far with these options:

i) Use 12v pixels, which will require 9600 watts of power. This will mean mean 32x 300W power supplies. Practically how would I even do that? I don't really want to put 16x CG1500's around the tree... Build a wall of power supplies somewhere else and run 64x 8AWG cables to the strands? Maybe 8/2 romex? 64x 8/2 Romex is a heck of a lot of copper to lug around...
    -or-
    ii) Use 5v pixels, which will require 4800 watts of power. But then I need to run 8awg wire up on the back each strip, which doesn't seem practical. Or alternatively put 8x 5v transformers in the star at the top - also not practical.
    -or-
    iii) Use 12v pixels with 48v buck transformers. And then put a wall full of 48v transformers in a central location (e.g. these), and a 48v to 12v buck converter on each string. So far this seems the easiest - are these kind of buck converters really waterproof enough that I won't have to put them into a housing?

Cost isn't the biggest concern, logistics and ease is.
    Last edited by deonb; 01-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega-mega pixel trees

1" spacing is overkill as far as I'm concerned. I have a 48x110 with 2" spacing. F16v3 and two expansion boards with a Meanwell RSP3000-12. No power injection, each string is on its own port.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deonb View Post
    I've run a 50x64 MegaTree for the last few years, and always built it out of 5v pixels stuck inside Boscoyo strips with 3" spacing. I never had to worry about power injection before - just connected each of the 64 strands into the 64 different ports of 4x E682 controllers with 5x 60A 5v power supplies hosted in 4x CG1500 boxes. Very easy, albeit not the cheapest way to build a tree.

However, for next year we want to go bigger and denser... We want to change pixels to 1" spacing, and also make the tree taller. So planning to go up from 50 pixels per string to 250 pixels per string.

So questions I have to the "big tree" builders out there:

a) I'm planning to use the Boscoyo rolls this time around:
    https://www.boscoyostudio.com/index....roducts_id=154

Are the up for the challenge of carrying 250 pixels (21') at 1" density without stretching and sagging?

b) How do I power this guy? The tree will have 16000 pixels (250 x 64). I've come up so far with these options:

i) Use 12v pixels, which will require 9600 watts of power. This will mean mean 32x 300W power supplies. Practically how would I even do that? I don't really want to put 16x CG1500's around the tree... Build a wall of power supplies somewhere else and run 64x 8AWG cables to the strands? Maybe 8/2 romex? 64x 8/2 Romex is a heck of a lot of copper to lug around...
    -or-
    ii) Use 5v pixels, which will require 4800 watts of power. But then I need to run 8awg wire up on the back each strip, which doesn't seem practical. Or alternatively put 8x 5v transformers in the star at the top - also not practical.
    -or-
    iii) Use 12v pixels with 48v buck transformers. And then put a wall full of 48v transformers in a central location (e.g. these), and a 48v to 12v buck converter on each string. So far this seems the easiest - are these kind of buck converters really waterproof enough that I won't have to put them into a housing?

Cost isn't the biggest concern, logistics and ease is.
    You would not need as much power as you think , unless you plan to run at full white with full brightness .
    I have done just over 8k -5v pixels @ 15% output using the HinksPix 16 outputs and 2 meanwell 5v 60a power supplies and injected the ends only .
    I had no issues, but think it was still a bit to bright .
    @ 1" spacing you are still in the 20' range for your tree height , so not a lot of voltage loss in wiring .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uncledan View Post
    1" spacing is overkill as far as I'm concerned. I have a 48x110 with 2" spacing. F16v3 and two expansion boards with a Meanwell RSP3000-12. No power injection, each string is on its own port.
    Interesting. I'm actually also considering running 240V. What are you using for your 240V outlets? NEMA 6-30?
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I'm actually also considering running 240V. What are you using for your 240V outlets? NEMA 6-30?
    I dont use outlets. Each power supply is hardwired to 20a 2 Pole GFCI circuit breaker

Post Thanks / Like

b) How do I power this guy? The tree will have 16000 pixels (250 x 64).
    Use 750W HP Server Power Supplies. Check E-Bay for Hp Proliant Power Supply 750W.

Buy a breakout board for each power supply. A nice feature of this is that the edge connector allows a bad power supply to be slid out and easily replaced. You'll also need to buy some EVGA connectors.

Section your tree into strips of 4 x 250. Each section requires 720 watts at full power so 1 power supply per section. You have 64 sections so 64 / 4 = 16 sections / 16 power supplies / 16 breakout boards. Each power supply would have 8 pigtails, with the last one having 9 in order to inject at end of the last string.

House multiple power supplies in a larger bud box. If you don't mind having 16 enclosures then a modified jdeation compact case will fit the power supply, pigtails and a couple of fused distribution boards. I use one of these for my 800 pixel tree plus star.

i) Use 12v pixels, which will require 9600 watts of power. This will mean mean 32x 300W power supplies. Practically how would I even do that?
    Yes, use 12v Pixels so you don't have to inject so often. That would save a lot of money and materials. It also presents less risk with fewer failure points.

Using 5v pixels, you'll need power at the end, beginning and in 2 places in between (at pixel 100 & pixel 200)
    Using 12v pixels, you'll need power at the end, beginning and in 1 place in between (at pixel 100)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcamron View Post
    Use 750W HP Server Power Supplies. Check E-Bay for Hp Proliant Power Supply 750W.

Buy a breakout board for each power supply. A nice feature of this is that the edge connector allows a bad power supply to be slid out and easily replaced. You'll also need to buy some EVGA connectors.
    I'm glad I saw this post. I have been planning on using 350-500W pc power supplies for power and injections since I have so many of them available to me and I can pull both 5V and 12V from them. I happen to have 20-30 of these HP power supplies (750-1200W) from older servers sitting in storage which I hadn't even thought of using (plus I know a guy at an e-recycling center that can probably get me as many as I want). Thank you for posting the link to the breakout boards. If I have 1 on each side of the house and 1 in the middle, I can supply all the pixel light power attached to the house I will probably ever need. Then I can box a few in the yard for the mega-tree and props.