Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about show length and new songs

Post Thanks / Like

Question Curious about show length and new songs

Being new-ish to this hobby, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts about:

• What is your ideal length for a show?
    • How many new songs do you add each year?
    • Do you take songs out?
    • If you add new lights/props, how much updating do you do to existing songs?
    Halloween 2019 Lights: https://youtu.be/QbNE1x21gqA
    Christmas 2018 Lights: https://youtu.be/pkcxuiiSdhc

Other shows and behind the scenes:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg1...c85-wgbnkNiLOw

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Curious about show length and new songs

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowLight8 View Post
    Being new-ish to this hobby, I'm curious about everyone's thoughts about:

• What is your ideal length for a show?
    • How many new songs do you add each year?
    • Do you take songs out?
    • If you add new lights/props, how much updating do you do to existing songs?
    1-2 min per song. Several of my songs I just cut (maybe just grab the intro and 1st chorus)

First year I started w 4 songs. Iíve added 1-2 new ones each year (and maybe some ďfillerĒ clips). I rotate songs each week, so the overall show isnít that long.

Iím always going back and tweaking old songs, either to supplement new props or modify sections that need refreshed.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a loop with 6 songs this year - it would be 8, but I'm having trouble with two of them. Altogether it takes about 14 minutes, and it loops with no break. Most years i do add a couple songs, although this year i haven't added any. I notice that i have quite a few songs that I've pushed to the side and haven't used in some time, so i do take songs out - mostly because i don't want the show to be too long - we get lots of traffic and people will sometimes stay to see all of the songs which backs things up. I was actually looking around the other day and was reminded by some of my older favorites, and even was tempted to dust them off, however due to changes in my show the effort to update would be fairly extensive. Perhaps not a complete rebuild, but also not particularly quick.

Post Thanks / Like

I do new songs/new show each year, usually to some sort of theme (common artist or common lyrical theme). This year is my longest at just over 10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been at it for a couple of years, so I'm still adding props. I edit my sequences each year to incorporate new props but at present add/remove only a few songs each year. When I'm visiting other people's locations I like to see a show not more than 20 minutes so traffic doesn't back up preventing ME from seeing the show. That being said, I'm out in the boonies so I don't get a ton of traffic. My shows are 30 minutes S-Thu 45 minutes Fri -Sat so my next door neighbors don't have to hear the same song 15 times every night. ( Just 10 times... )

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as Bwinter mentioned.
    Trim songs to about 1:30 to 2:00. I noticed after 2:00 or so cars would leave mid song. With shorter songs I noticed more cars staying for the entire playlist.
    I have 4 playlists of the same 3 main songs for each and then mix in 2 different songs for each playlist (5 songs/playlist) Monday playlist 1....Tuesday playlist 2.....
    I try to do 1 new song each year and cleanup the older ones as I learn new tricks or add new props.

Post Thanks / Like

I added a new song last year and one the year before and was dark the year before that. When I first started I pressured myself to get bigger and better and to do all new songs. I then when dark for a year and realized people were happy with my display if it was up, didn't matter if it was new and improved every year.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to keep my songs to under 3:00. I now have 14 songs that would play approx 45minutes, but what I did is I set up two shows, on Odd and Even days. I took my previous years song list (some of which I updated with new props) and split them in half, and added my three new sequences to both night. Now each night runs just over 25:00 minutes for the whole show.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Post Thanks / Like

My current shows are approximately 40 min each. I have two shows that run every other day of the week. On the weekends I have a combined show that runs about 75 min. I try to add a couple of new songs each year and retire the same. So my song lists changes a little every year.

10. Likes TomL8345 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just keep adding songs to the playlist. I donít trim songs. I find that people like entire songs. Especially when theyíre ones they know well. I have several songs over 4 minutes and even one thatís 5:30ish.
    People come and go as they will and many come back multiple times. When I talk to them they always comment how it seems like thereís something different every time. Some of my songs have been running for 5 years now.
    Iíve only ever pulled one song. Let it go, it was time to let it go. Itís not a Christmas song and doesnít have a particularly good message anyhow. Once the frozen fad sufficiently died down I was able to pull it out without anyone noticing. I still keep ďin summerĒ though because itís a perfect snowman song.

My show is currently 21 sequences at 68 minutes.

Iíve considered doing multiple playlists. But not for the purpose of variety. The second playlist would be for the later hours and would leave out the louder and flashier songs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast