Thread: Export Sequence with time range setting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Export Sequence with time range setting

I am used to export the seq into csv and put on my device for lighting playback, but sometime may want to export a small session of the seq to see the actual effect. Is it possible to add a time range setting on export seq panel. For example, full sequence range as default and allow to set the time range like 1:05.5 - 1:10.5.

It could save a lot of time when the sequence is long and contains a lot of channel. Thank you so much.

issue was created: https://bugs.vixenlights.com/browse/VIX-2590

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Export Sequence with time range setting

Is there a reason you need to export to test it? Why can you not just play it from vixen for testing?

Post Thanks / Like

Our current system is designed to play the sequence in many separated led driver with Wi-Fi module. To ensure all the devices perfectly synchronize together, we export the sequence and preloaded them into all devices. The player just sending the time code instead of huge data.

The playback is robust but doing a bunch of progress before seeing the actual effect is quite painful and takes time when improving the sequencing iteratively.

Probably, I should reconsider the Artnet protocol.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

What is the right direction to studying with the realtime streaming? Like sACN e1.31

Would you please give some advice, thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you’re making your own controllers. So you’ll need detailed protocol documents. Check out the streaming ACN e1.31 spec on the plasa website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We are putting the sACN feature to our controller. We found that vixen sends data using unicast and multicast in different pattern. My current update interval is 25ms, vixen sending each frame every 25ms when unicast. In multicast, vixen sending all 4 frames data without delay every 100ms. In this case, we have to delay the streamed data in order to match the frame rate on our controller side.

1. Here I would like to verify whether the working mechanism above is correct?

2. How many univerise can be streamed by vixen simultaneously?

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you are probably using WiFi to transport your sACN data. Wifi can cause this sort of behavior. Is that the case? If so you're going to want to study up on WiFi over multicast, and how to optimize for it. I wrote this article a while back that can give you an overview of the concepts involved. I can go into greater depth on that topic if needed.

1) No, there's no difference to the timing or packetization between unicast and multicast within Vixen. Vixen hands off the sACN packets to the windows network subsystem on a per-update basis regardless of casting type. So in the case of a 25ms update interval, (assuming your PC can keep up at that rate) it will pass one packet per universe ever 25ms +/- 1ms or so.
    It's worth noting that 25ms is an agressive rate to use when your element count and universe count is high. The 50ms default rate was chosen because it's a safe rate for average hardware for an average sized show. The bigger the show profile, the more work the Vixen engine needs to do to keep up. Vixen uses a realtime engine and there's a lot that happens on the fly every time it plays. If your machine can't keep up with the update cycle, updates will be late. If they're too late, they'll be dropped altogether. This can cause undesired behavior in your show as you'd probably expect.

2)Vixen has no limit to the number of universes that can be transmitted simultaneously. (except of course for the logical limit of 63999 imposed by the sACN protocol itself) This is strictly a function of how much horsepower your computer has. If you have a powerful processor and lots of ram, and load balance the sACN output across network interfaces appropriately, it can output quite a large number of universes.
    If you have the universes spread across many controller instances, you may observe sub-optimal performance. Each controller instance in vixen uses a non-trival amount of resources. The more instances you have, the more work the system need to do to drive them all. Furthermore, each instance is completely independent of the rest. There's no coordination between them and timing is not guaranteed across output instances.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jeff for the detailed explanation.

I read your article on the website and learn more how the Access point works, I would optimize our hardware while using wifi.

Also, I have tried 128 universe in 25ms, the CPU use up to 100% usage and dropping the frame a lot. I think my current PC (gen8 i5) doesn't have enough processing power to handle such amount of univerise(actually I need a lot more channel) for multicasting. I participated older post about the PC spec for Vixen, more core CPU and Ram should have significant improvement, so I probably would looking for a higher grade CPU like intel i9 and 64GB ram for trial. Is it correct?

Thank you very much.