Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can A E682 Be Used Wireless?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can A E682 Be Used Wireless?

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Early on when I first got into pixels I had problems with multicast because the computer running the sequence was also used for internet surfing. My lights wouldn't function according to my sequence. Davis Pitts logged in through Teamviewer and had me change to Unicast and everything has been great since. I now want to move to the Pi to run my shows so I can eliminate the computer in the house. After reading the posts here, I figure what I'll do is run the Pi and controllers outside and keep an empty port on my hub to be able to plug in a network cable to be able to power down the Pi from my indoor computer when I need to.

Any thoughts on this?
    You can connect to the Pi wirelessly to turn it on and off. You shouldn't need to run a cable. I can access my Pi and my controllers wirelessly from my inside computer. The Pi is on the same network as my home network and the show is on a separate network so it is isolated. The controllers and the Pi are connected by ethernet cable through a network switch.
    Ed
    Happily retired

2. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Likes FishKing, Ruppro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    You can connect to the Pi wirelessly to turn it on and off. You shouldn't need to run a cable. I can access my Pi and my controllers wirelessly from my inside computer. The Pi is on the same network as my home network and the show is on a separate network so it is isolated. The controllers and the Pi are connected by ethernet cable through a network switch.
    Thanks Ed. Do you recommend a hub or router?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ed. Do you recommend a hub or router?
    All you need is a switch to manage the communication between the Pi and the controllers.
    Ed
    Happily retired

5. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am kinda doing the same thing, but i believe i am accessing thru my wireless router that is outside. My Pi and E682's are on the same network connected to the wireless router. I don't believe i have the wireless on the Pi setup correctly or at all. I can sit in the kitchen, turn on "Christmas" wifi on laptop and enter the IP addresses of the Pi and controllers to make changes. I think i might just be getting lucky, so i didn't mess with it. While it is still setup, i would like to know how to do it correctly!

ezellner - do you have any direction to point us to get setup like yours?
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    I am kinda doing the same thing, but i believe i am accessing thru my wireless router that is outside. My Pi and E682's are on the same network connected to the wireless router. I don't believe i have the wireless on the Pi setup correctly or at all. I can sit in the kitchen, turn on "Christmas" wifi on laptop and enter the IP addresses of the Pi and controllers to make changes. I think i might just be getting lucky, so i didn't mess with it. While it is still setup, i would like to know how to do it correctly!

ezellner - do you have any direction to point us to get setup like yours?
    Is your wireless router solely local for the Christmas lights?
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Is your wireless router solely local for the Christmas lights?
    Yes. The one outside is just for the show network. Inside i have the same wireless router hardwired to my cable modem. I started a new thread in the FPP section so i don't hi-jack this thread

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...ss-setup-on-Pi
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious what version Pi and FPP people are using. I have a Pi 3 B v1.2 and FPP 1.10...

I'm not able to set this up as wireless even after following the Canispater Christmas videos on YouTube. The only connection showing on my router is the eth0 connection. As soon as the ethernet cable is disconnected I lose my access on my computer and phone. I'm not sure if it's something with my settings or what it any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious what version Pi and FPP people are using. I have a Pi 3 B v1.2 and FPP 1.10...

As soon as the ethernet cable is disconnected I lose my access on my computer and phone. I'm not sure if it's something with my settings or what it any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!!
    Usually you have to remove the gateway setting on the E0, set it only on the wireless. I use 10.0.0.x for wireless, and set 10.1.1.x for E0 (that is only for maint purposes if I have to connect directly, or running in bridge mode to my F16v3).
    Last edited by aknflyer; 01-12-2019 at 03:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not able to set this up as wireless even after following the Canispater Christmas videos on YouTube. The only connection showing on my router is the eth0 connection. As soon as the ethernet cable is disconnected I lose my access on my computer and phone. I'm not sure if it's something with my settings or what it any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks!!
    These versions should work fine. I ran your combo for this past season on part of my display. I had another part running the latest 2.5 FPP version. Both work. Please post screen shots of both your eth0 page and wlan0 page from FPP. Then someone can quickly find the issue.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

These versions should work fine. I ran your combo for this past season on part of my display. I had another part running the latest 2.5 FPP version. Both work. Please post screen shots of both your eth0 page and wlan0 page from FPP. Then someone can quickly find the issue.
    Now I can't connect with the Pi at all. Is there any way I can check or change settings when this happens?

Thanks, Dale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast